I had no clue they made 4:30 am…but I know now.

November 13, 2011 in The Very Few Times I'll Admit to Having a Soul

4:30 a.m.

I know.

I didn’t even know they made that hour anymore.  But, apparently they do.

I was up.

Barking at nobody but the darkness around me, but I was up.

Today was the Race for the Cure in Austin, and well…somebody caught me at a weak moment 3 months ago and I said I’d walk it.

I’ve done it several years, but swear every year I ain’t getting up this early again.

But I do.  And I will again next year.  Cause (all together now) that’s how I roll.

Up and out the door and on the road before 6:15 a.m.  I think the only other time I’ve ever done that was…never.

I know it’s for a good cause and all that.  Don’t get all preachy on me.  But I can give and bitch at the same time.  It doesn’t affect the strength of the giving or the love in my heart.

(Whoa.  This wine must be taking over.  Hang with me.)

There were like a kadillion people walking/running/jogging/pushing strollers/listening to me try to cheat my way to the finish line by cutting corners.  Which is a pretty monumental thing to see.

(The kadillion people.  Not me cheating.)

(That’s not monumental.  I have no shame.)

(Ever.)

In the past years when I did the Race for the Cure, it was because I wanted to.  For me.  To be able to say I did it.

(Selfish?  Not really.)

Now…it’s because of this incredibly, seriously fab lady at my work joint.  She is such a bright spot.  Truly.

I remember hearing about her being diagnosed.  I was like, “Whaaaat?  No f’ing way.”

Way.

We work in totally different areas, so I don’t see her as much as I’d like.  But I kept up on the scoop.  And see her when I could.

She never lost her smile.  Her rays of light.  Her twinkle.

But she did lose her hair.  All 72 ft of it.

OK.  I’m exaggerating.  But it was to her waist.  More hair than I’ve ever had.  Or will ever have.

Her sweetest friend ever told me when she took her to the wig place to get her wig and have it styled, she pulled out a picture.

Of me.

She said she wanted my hair.

There’s only been 3 times in my life (that I can remember) where I’ve been speechless.

That was all 3 times.  Right there.

I still cry a little.  Ok.  Maybe more than a little when I think about that sweet spirit having my picture in her purse at her most trying time.

I didn’t get to see her today but she was there.  With so many people, it was near impossible to actually “find” anyone.  But she was there cheering everyone on.

She’s there every year.

And she will be there next year, too.

Here’s her sweetest friend ever, Peggy:

Bad light. I do have all my teeth and Peggy isn't dozing off. Trust me.

And here’s some more random shots of some I walked with.  The pics are all before the bangs went all to shit:

My friend, Chrissy. Every December I sing to her, "Oh, Chrissy-tree...oh, Chrissy-tree..." She sometimes hates me for that.

Isn't she a doll? She is simply proving how weird Austin is and reminding me why I love it so.

I love these people. But was kinda hatin' at this time. It was well before 7:00 am.

Chrissy, Rick, Diane…then me, Regina and JoAnn.

Not a stitch of makeup on my face.  Maybe mascara.  I don’t remember.  I didn’t care.  Cause I was hatin’ a little.

(Sweet mother, it was early.)

Listen to this.

Today was the first time I’d met Regina.  I totally misunderstood her name and thought JoAnn said, “This is my friend LADINA.”

So.  I called her LaDina.  All morning.

Oh, yes I did.  To her face and all.

What a jackass.  I know.

She was totally laughable about it though.  (Thank you, Jesus.)

I’d like to say because it was such a fab morning, I can’t complain about getting up at 4:30 a.m.  But, really?  Who am I kidding?

I will always be able to complain about getting up at 4:30 a.m. even if it IS for something this incredible.

It’s who I am.

It’s how I roll.

I’ll do it again next year.  But I’m wearing the tiara.

Cause these are some of the people who let me.

And I’m gonna have Jeanette one, too.  Because I know she’ll be there.  Waiting on everyone to cross that finish line.  Like she does every year.

With her hair like mine.

Just with way better bangs.

Sandy Nesom November 13, 2011 at 7:08 pm

So Proud of you!!! <3

Carrie November 13, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Triple the love back. =)

Peggy Scarborough November 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

You make my heart happy!
Many more hearts are happy because of you!

Carrie November 13, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I hope so. Cause it was early. But it was totally worth it.

De November 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm

And girl Jeanette rocks your hairstyle – I love that wig on her!!

Carrie November 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm

She is a gem. She’s as genuine and as sweet as they come.

Chrissy November 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm

It was great, especially when we took the wrong turn.. LOL
Didn’t know that about Jeanette’s hair style, but that’s awesome!

San Antonio walk is in May, put it on your calendar..

Carrie November 13, 2011 at 8:42 pm

May?

Puh-lenty of time for me to come up with a good excuse.

Lisa Guedry November 13, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I’m so proud of you…for so many different reasons!

Carrie November 13, 2011 at 10:01 pm

You’re too much! Total love.

Karyn November 13, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I laughed all the way through ” I can give and bitch at the same time.” (amen to that)… and the Ladina thing had me crying. Dear God havent we all been there? (some of us more than others). You do have great hair, and if I looked that good without makeup I go nudie-face every damn day!! Great job, it was SO worth it (Ive always wondered why they cant start these race things at noon, when all the normal people get up.)
Karyn recently posted..And The Mouse Made FourMy Profile

Carrie November 14, 2011 at 5:55 am

Girl…every year I think the SAME THING! I’m like, “You people ever heard of NOON?”

It was humid and pretty sticky so I was pretty rough looking when it was over, but when you’re with such great people, they don’t even notice.

Or they’re at least smart enough not to say anything. =)

Maren November 14, 2011 at 3:36 am

Well done! It is absolutely lethal to get up at that hour! Shouldn’t be allowed!!

You look stunning by the way 🙂
Maren recently posted..Week #6 Weigh-inMy Profile

Carrie November 14, 2011 at 5:57 am

Stunning is pushing it. I wouldn’t let’em take pics too close because I’d say, “This is going on my blog and my dark circles might show!”

If you weren’t so far away…you could’ve gotten your walk in with us!

Jennifer November 14, 2011 at 10:43 am

Awesome! And I LOVE the tutu outfit!
Jennifer recently posted..Special One Question Edition of Ask NoahMy Profile

Carrie November 14, 2011 at 11:21 am

I know! Isn’t she awesome!

There are way more walkers dressed like her than in plain ol’shirts and shorts. And every year I say I’m gonna bring out the boa, tiara and anything pink to join them.

But at 4:30…I’m hatin’ and not in the mood for it.

I gotta change that up though!

Jennifer November 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm

You rock! I’m not sure I could ever do a walk like this because I would be cryin’ the entire time thinkin’ about the people we were walking for.
Jennifer recently posted..Time for Holiday ComfortsMy Profile

Carrie November 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Well, I did cry a little the first year when I did it alone. Only because I saw a little boy walking and on his shirt it said, “I’m walking for my mom” and on the ladies shirt next to him it said, “I’m his mom.”

Whoa.

I know.

But when you see the support and the cheers…it’s such a feel good thing.

Totally makes that 4:30 am getting-up crap worth it. Just do NOT tell anyone I said that. I have a reputation to keep, you know.

Jeanette McCann November 14, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I did see you — you were talking and I couldn’t get your attention. I can’t tell you how much your humor (and your hair) has helped to push me through this journey! I love you!!

Carrie November 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm

OOHH!!! There she is!! My gosh, my gosh, my gosh! YAY ME!

I love you to pieces…tons of love, Jeanette! TONS!

But are you sure that was me you think you saw? I tend to be on the quiet side and rather timid. Must’ve been someone else.

Next year, we’re in tiaras!

Felicia November 14, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Another awesome post, Carrie. Awesome of you to drag yourself outta bed at 4:30am. Awesome that “Ladina” rolled with it when you called her by the wrong name…all day. Awesome that Jeanette was there to cheer you on (even if you didn’t see her).
Felicia recently posted..Wearing Bermuda Shorts in the FallMy Profile

Carrie November 15, 2011 at 6:00 am

It was a great bunch…just good, good people.

And poor LaDina. God love her. When I found out I had been saying, “Hey, LaDina…” for 2 hours, I felt horrible! But she had the best personality and just laughed it off and then we all had a good laugh.

The sad thing though…once I get someones name in my mind, well, it’s who they are to me. It’s gonna take some work to call her by whatever her real name is. I already forgot.

Nikki B. November 16, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Awesomesauce.

Especially the part about making 4:30am so funny. Ha!

I used to walk every year for breast cancer where I live. Not sure why I stopped. This might be inspiration to get me going again. 😀
Nikki B. recently posted..My advice on a “few, short, and final words”? Don’t hit “send”.My Profile

Carrie November 17, 2011 at 5:14 am

Hey! Thrilled you came by!

We had a great time…but I’m telling you, next year it ain’t gonna be all shirts and stretchy pants. We’re gonna tiara it up.

I figure if you gotta do it, you might as well do it up right!

{ 1 trackback }