I’ve probably had better gas but yesterday’s was totally worth the wait.

November 2, 2011 in Me and My Public Self

I do my best to treat people good.  I really do.  Regardless of what any family member, long-time friend, or co-worker might say.

I do.

(Which is totally something Chris Humphries should have never said 73 days ago.  Jackass.)

But sometimes, I just gotta let nature take its course.  Powerful force I may be, even I can’t tackle nature.  Or karma.

Yesterday, I started the day by reading a really good post by Mark at Yelling Near You (dude is in Canada…cool), and it got me thinking about how some people try to cheat each other so easily.

Now, let’s bust on through to the afternoon.

I left work, did my mile or so walk downtown, and headed home.

Well, what do you know?  No gas.  The light isn’t on.  Yet.  But it’s close.

(And my father would have a coronary if he knew.  When I was in high school, I’d get grounded when he’d randomly check the car and it had less than 1/2 a tank of gas.  Which was totally unfair.  But he made the car note AND paid for the gas…so check away, Pops.)

I pull in this convenient store/gas station place and I’m all sideways-jacked at the pump, so I back out, straighten up, and as soon as I start to pull forward…this big truck (facing me) pulls in MY spot.

And yes.  I have legally laid claim to this spot because I pulled in sideways-jacked first.  I could have stayed that way and blocked part of the station’s driving lane…but I’m awesome and that ain’t how I roll.

Eye contact is made.  Even through his dirty windshield.  He knows exactly what he’s done.  And being the gentleman he is…he gets out and heads inside to pre-pay.  Smiling at me.

I’m sure his momma is so proud.

Every other spot is full.  Of course it is.

I huff.  Say nothing.  Sit.

And wait.

Then the spot on the direct other side of the tank opens up.

I slither right on in.

I’m in no rush, so I get my card, drag around to the pump, slide my card and immediately it says to begin fueling.

I get after it.

Convenience store man comes running out waving his hands at me.

Mr. Store Clerk in really wrinkly shirt:  “Wait, wait…don’t start.  Wrong pump, wrong pump!”

(Buddy, it’s too late.  She is guzzling this $3.17/gal stuff like it’s gold.  There ain’t no turning back.)

Mr. I-think-I’m-all-that-so-I’m-gonna-steal-this-poor-girls-gas-pump-spot is on his heels, holding a Coke or something.

Mr. Store Clerk in really wrinkly shirt:  “Ma’am, ma’am (FIRST mistake right there, Tutz) he done paid!  He done paid.  That’s his gas!”

Me:  “Huh?  He’s over there.  I just ran my card.”

(Notice how I clearly understood his sentence.)

Mr. Store Clerk in really wrinkly shirt:  “Yes, I know.  He pay inside and I accidentally credit it to this pump.  You pumping on his money.  It did not take your card information.”

Well, well, well.  Isn’t that special?

Me:  “Excuse me?  Do what…huh?  Huh?  Huh?”

(I’m totally acting like I can’t understand his heavy Asian accent.  Which I totally can.  And if I would have thought quick enough, I would have broke out in my British accent to bring in all nations.)

Mr. I-think-I’m-all-that-so-I’m-gonna-steal-this-poor-girls-gas-pump-spot is standing there on his side of the pump, watching.  And listening.

And I look at him.

Slowly.

And I make eye contact.

Slowly.

And I smile.

Slooooooowly.

Me:  “No problem, sir.  I’ll finish up here then come in and pay with my card, then HE can fill up.”

I was a tad sarcastic.  As I rightly should be.

Mr. Store Clerk in really wrinkly shirt thanks me profusely and returns to store.

I go to my driver seat.  Check my hair.  Dab on a little lipgloss.  Look at my phone acting like I got some important text or something.

Pump jumps.  I’m all done.

Wow.  That was quick!

I dig in my purse.  Take a drink of my water.  Check my hair again.

I go back to the pump and he’s still standing there on his side.

Waiting.

No eye contact from either of us.

I then mosey in the store and it takes the clerk no less than 7 minutes to complete the transaction.  And I don’t dare rush him.

Mr. I-think-I’m-all-that-so-I’m-gonna-steal-this-poor-girls-gas-pump-spot is so flustered by now…he leaves.

I mean, peels out of the parking lot.  Pretty much on two wheels.

I look at Mr. Store Clerk in really wrinkly shirt.

And I smile.

Slowly.

Me:  “Sorry about all that sir.  Have a good one.”

Thank you, Mr. I-think-I'm-all-that-so-I'm-gonna-steal-this-poor-girls-gas-pump-spot. By far, the best tank of gas. Ever.

Deborah November 2, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Priceless!!!! Love it when stuff like that happens.

Carrie November 2, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Uh, huh…you know it.

Bet next time he remembers those manners I sure hope his momma taught him.

Katherine Brown November 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm

THIS ROCKS. Almost as well as Beyonce. Almost. And you KNOW I’m not talking about the singer.

Carrie November 2, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Ain’t nothing better than Beyonce’.

Nothing.

Joan @chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate November 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Hahahahaha! You go girl! Men will never learn, don’t mess with us women, we have more patience and are way smarter!
Joan @chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate recently posted..Toffee, no not coffee, I said TOFFEEMy Profile

Carrie November 3, 2011 at 6:08 am

And my patience usually isn’t that patient.

If that makes any kind of sense.

Karyn November 3, 2011 at 12:42 am

This is K-A-R-M-A, and you don’t want to be on the wrong side of it (which YOU my dear, clearly were not!) Douche. God, that had to feel SO good!
Karyn recently posted..I Was Flamingoed (and more of my week)My Profile

Carrie November 3, 2011 at 6:10 am

It was alllll him, too. I did nothing different than if it would have worked out my way from the beginning, with ME getting that original spot.

He was an ass…he knew he was an ass…and it was killing him he couldn’t finish the situation with his assiness.

mark @ yelling near you November 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Sweet, sweet karma! Thanks for the mention & the link, Carrie! I’m glad you posted the full story – too awesome.

Carrie November 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Your posting was the first thing I thought of when I drove off. I was like “Mark is gonna freak now.”

It was pretty sweet though. Especially when I knew HE was backed in the corner and had to wait on me after he thought he was gonna make ME wait on him.

Loser.

Rae November 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Just came across your blog, and I must say, you handled that beautifully! I like to think that I would have had the same reaction, but I’d probably just laugh in the guy’s face. Karma is a wonderful mistress.

Carrie November 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Preach it, sister! Karma certainly can be your best friend!

And elated you stopped by! Joy!

Jennifer November 3, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Awesomesauce. And I don’t even care if that isn’t cool to say anymore.
Jennifer recently posted..Four weeks on Weight WatchersMy Profile

Carrie November 3, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Oh, it’s cool. If it came out of your mouth…total coolness. For sure.

Karen November 3, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Just over from Telling Dad Blog…….good story. Nice moves.

Carrie November 3, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Hi Karen…thanks so much for the visit! And isn’t Greg the bomb?!?

So glad you’re here!

D'Anna Lundstrom November 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm

This would have been a great Seinfeld episode!

Carrie November 3, 2011 at 7:02 pm

HAHA! Never thought about that…but I think you might be on to something!

Jennifer November 3, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Oh that totally sounds like a New Jersey story and it makes my heart happy that you got to see karma bite him in the ass. I hope to witness it myself somedays soon!
Jennifer recently posted..Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop- FAQ’sMy Profile

Carrie November 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I do admit…it did feel a little good.

OK. A lot good.

Jennifer November 4, 2011 at 5:13 am

Ha!!! That’s awesome!!! Popping over from Momma Made it Look Easy. Glad to have found you!
Jennifer recently posted..When The Milk Won’t Come Out Of Your NoseMy Profile

Carrie November 4, 2011 at 6:07 am

Aww….so glad you did! And the visit will certainly be returned!

Maggie S. November 4, 2011 at 5:38 am

Brilliant.
Maggie S. recently posted..Kids, Don’t Try This At Home.My Profile

Carrie November 4, 2011 at 6:08 am

Yeah…it was a pretty cool feeling. Especially since he knew I now knew…he was a jackass.

Robbie November 4, 2011 at 9:30 am

Your ROCK! Karma is a bitch!
Robbie recently posted..Living the DreamMy Profile

Carrie November 4, 2011 at 9:36 am

Yes it is, sister…yes it is.

And goodness knows I’ve found that out plenty in my lifetime…it’s kinda cool to see others find it out, too.

Susan November 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Carrie November 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I know, right.

This kind of crap feels good for a while, too. =)

Traci November 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm

That’s hilarious!! I totally read the “Mr. Store Clerk in really wrinkly shirt” part in my best Chinese accent:)

Carrie November 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Now THAT’S how you do it. If it’s in your head already…you’re way ahead in the game!!

Total love. =)