My night of being totally hip. Maybe not ‘totally’ but enough so not everyone else knew I wasn’t.

November 18, 2011 in Me and My Public Self

It’s always those last minute, “Hey, what’re you doing Thursday night” plans that totally turn out better than if they were planned.

My phone at the work joint rang on maybe Monday, I think, with that question on the other end.

Me:  “Uh, a lot of nothing.  Why?”

It was then I got the invite to my very first Poetry Slam and Performaing Arts show.

(You:  Huh?)

(I know.  That’s what I thought, too.)

I was invited to see Buddy Wakefield at this dingey little dive in east Austin.  Uh, huh.  We went to the east side.

Buddy’s aunt works on the 2nd floor at my work joint.  She was cool BEFORE Thursday night.  She became superiorly cool AFTER Thursday night.

She had the tickets.  I had the time.

So, it ended up with three of us girls hitting the east side for the night.  Me not having a clue where I was going or what I was going to be doing.

Wine at dinner.

Which was totally needed once I saw where I was going.

We walk up to this, what looked like an old warehouse.  No sparkling lights, no big marquee, just one lone door at the entrance.  Kinda all darkish.  Everywhere.

And the crowd was, well…odd.  Kinda darkish themselves.

Yeah, we went in.

(Thank you, wine.)

I was immediately in love.

It was me.  Totally my kind of joint.  Though, I’ll admit it.  I’m too old to be out that late on a school night doing that kind of hip stuff.  But I did it.

And will absolutely do it again.  And again.  And again.

Dingey, dark, gloomy…very undergroundish kind of stuff.

(I don’t know what I’m talking about.  I’ve never been anywhere like that, but listen to me acting all big cityish.)

(I gotta stop using -ish.)

We find our seats amongst the mohawks, pink hair and several others who I’m not sure have the best of hygiene skills.  But in their defense, they ‘were’ a bit younger.  And not yet tainted by what society expects them to look like.  And act like.

(I friggin miss those days.)

(Wait.  For me, that’s like any-time-I’m-not-at-work.  Most of the time.)

Just being in the midst (big word for me!) of these people totally make me feel kinda hip.  Because when I was getting wine at the bar this random I’m-not-really-sure-whether-it-was-a-dude-or-a-girl gave me the head nod with a low, “Sup?” and after my eyes darted around (while trying to appear as cool as a 42 year old in a joint with mostly hip early 30’s people) to make sure they were talking to me, replied with a rather confident, “How’s it goin?” with a slight head nod back.

(Damn.  I am smokin’ hot.)

(Not actually me.  More like my total ability to feign being hip.)

(Around seriously serious people about their slam poetry and artsy performances.)

First out was a guy who said stuff, but I didn’t catch much because I was too mesmerized by the chick swinging and floating and flipping and twirling and rolling above our heads.

Like RIGHT over our heads.

Some seriously cool stuff.

I am totally into this shit now.  I’m talking…
INTO.  IT.

More seriously cool stuff. She was awesome.

A few others came to the stage and did their thing.  And they were all simply amazing.

(If you don’t know what this slam poetry stuff is…do the Google.  There is no way I could ever make it make sense.)

(I’m not that cool.  I can just fake it really good when I need to appear hip.)

Then here comes Buddy Wakefield.

A huge presence on the stage.

(The dude has some rockin’ guns.  Must work-out non stop.)

Buddy is the two-time Individual World Poetry Slam Champion.  And he absolutely, without a doubt deserves that title.

And a tiara.  If I gave out the award.

(Though I don’t really think he’d agree with me on that one.)

The man. I’m talking THE man. Right here.

Sorry for the bad lighting in the pic.  I didn’t want to be one of those freaks standing in front of the rest of the crowd with their little phone at the stage looking all stupid.

ish.

(Unless I had an iPhone 4S.  Then I would have stood ON the stage, right by his face to take the pic.)

I didn’t take this video, but here he is in action.

Doing his thing about his mother.

Listen to him again.

Ain’t that something?

I love him.

Love.  Him.

And that makes me kinda hip.

So, when he’s back in Austin you can go with me.  And be hip.

Or if you’re somewhere out there, far away from me and I can’t get to you if he comes to your city…tell him Aunt Shelly’s friend in Austin sent you.

Here's Aunt Shelly getting our big paper tickets all sorted. Well, not MY Aunt Shelly. Buddy's Aunt Shelly. I don't have an Aunt Shelly. I have an Aunt Jackie, but not an Aunt Shelly.

(And tell  him how hip I am.)

(Just lie a little, ok?)

Katherine Brown November 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm

So THAT’S why Aunt Shelly was late today! :-) Carrie, I have NEVER known you to be “tainted by what society expects them to look like. And act like.” That’s what we LOVE about you!

Carrie November 18, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Oh, I’m tainted alright. In more ways than one.

Joan @chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate November 18, 2011 at 6:28 pm

You are too cool! Some day, I’m gonna show up on your doorstep and you’re gonna take me to a darkish, strangish, totally coolish kinda place like this!

Then we’ll be the hip 40ish gals at the awesome poetry slam!
Joan @chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate recently posted..Chocolate Decadence or Sachertorte SquaresMy Profile

Carrie November 18, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Joan, I had no idea what to expect. None.

I was in awe. Like, didn’t-want-to-leave-when-it-was-over kind of awe. Pure talent. Raw.

And you bet your ass…when you come to Austin, we are positively without a doubt, hitting the streets!! (And I do know quite a few little dingey hole in the wall joints. More than I care to admit to knowing!)

Maren November 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I think you’re totally hip. For real!
Anyone with sassy in their blog title is hip to me! (I have flab and cow in mine, and that is NOT very hip :p )
Maren recently posted..No pity-party!My Profile

Carrie November 18, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Maren…you are by far, one of the coolest chicks I read.

Anyone who can lay their life out there for everyone to see like you do, is A+ in my book.

You, my dear…are FAB. Simply fab.

Kim November 18, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Oh, you are TOTALLY hip! I think what made that place so hip is the fact that you and your sassy red hair were there! I also think that you are probably well versed in the hip head nod :)
Kim recently posted..New and Improved!!My Profile

Carrie November 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm

HAHA! I was just waiting on someone to say, “Yo, who brought their momma?”

I was ready for a throw-down if those words surfaced my ears.

Jennifer November 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm

So the next time I’m in town we’re going to a strangish, darkish, hip kind of place to hang out. You are totally going to have to let me in on what to wear to one of those places because I have no idea.
Jennifer recently posted..Share Your Awesome, Look Who Found the MarblesMy Profile

Carrie November 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Oh, we’re on.

You could wear a potato sack and be overdressed.

Most there were in crap like long-johns under cut-off denim shorts, or layered t-shirts with ripped jeans or stuff they pulled directly from their great-grandmother’s closet.

Quite the vintage crowd.

Jennifer November 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Cool. I am so glad to know they are keeping Austin weird- please hold down the fort and keep it weird until I can move there one day.
Jennifer recently posted..Fall 2011My Profile

Carrie November 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Believe me…I DO MY PART!

And when you finally get here, we’ll go find some weird crap kind of trouble to get into!!

Jackie November 18, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Hey thanks for the shout out! Now I will go back and watch the video.

Carrie November 19, 2011 at 7:39 am

Come to Austin and we’ll go do something totally off the beaten path like that.

I seriously had no idea I would love it as much as I did.

Chrissy November 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm

That’s awesome, I’ve heard slam poetry on TV. Some is good like Buddy’s and some not so much. Doing different things is good for the soul!!

BTW- you are a hottie (just need to find the right man to appreciate it), but then again I’m partial to red heads.. LOL

Carrie November 19, 2011 at 7:41 am

He was great. The ones before him were really, really good…then he came out and WOW. I will absolutely go back every time to see him. No matter how cheesy the joint.

Actually, the cheesier the better as far as I’m concerned.

We all know it’s gonna take a lot of man to take on this overwhelming heap of energy.

Start praying for him now. =)

Kat1e November 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Where do I put my email address in to get notified when he’s in town again? : ) ish
Kat1e recently posted..My little giraffe.My Profile

Carrie November 19, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Check his Web site: http://www.buddywakefield.com

Or just every now and then tilt your head back a slight bit and you should hear me yammering about it.

WANNA GO???

Felicia November 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I wanna go next time! I can pretend to be hip with the BEST of ‘em.
Felicia recently posted..Slouchy ChicMy Profile

Carrie November 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm

AB-SO-LUTELY!

Maggie S. December 3, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I was in Austin once with a totally inappropriate man. We probably missed a performance in that very same venue.
Maggie S. recently posted..Pinterest and MeMy Profile