Rejection is some serious suckage but kinda worse when you don’t get a rejection at all.

November 8, 2011 in Crap I Was Considerate Enough to Not Bother You with Before Now.

Never, would I ever insult an actual “writer” by referring to myself as such.

I scribble.  I rattle.  I ramble.  I mumble.  All by keyboard.

But to consider myself a writer?  Eh.

I did get up the nerve to submit a little 500 word thing to a local magazine.  They wanted something on what, “Home for the Holidays” meant to me.

I titled it that.  That’s why I did the big quotes.  It’s what they said to do.  So, I did it.

The winning submission would get published in their December issue.  That’s cool.

I figured I might as well start getting rejected now in my life of scribbling.  I mean, it’s not like I haven’t been rejected before.  In other areas of my life.

Rejection is serious suckage.  But I normally sometimes usually bounce back pretty ok.

(Especially since I turned 40.  Sweet mother…rejection can get on up in the back seat.  Crap I used to lose sleep over for days I now won’t waste a fart over.)

Plus, if I don’t occasionally get jerked around and rejected, I won’t really know the rush of that stamp of approval feeling, right?

Uh, huh.

A week or so after I sent in the essay or whatever you wanna call it…I received this little jewel.

Would you f’ing read this?

thank you making me feel smart.

This was the reply I got back FROM A MAGAZINE.

Again.  FROM.  A.  MAGAZINE.

MAGAZINE.

Not a capital letter to be found.  No comma.  And a missing word.

And I ain’t no grammar scholar, mind you.  My spelling ain’t stellar and I can barely speak legibly.

BUT I AIN’T A MAGAZINE EITHER.

So, once I finally DID get the rejection (which was the biggest total rejection I’ve ever received because they didn’t even send a rejection letter letting me know they were rejecting me so being rejected by not being rejected at all…well, that’s a beat down), I shed not one tear.

And that was a kick-ass essay I wrote.  I’ll post it later.  After I get the tree up and start singing that song I really like that’s a duet (but hate by December 17th cause it’s been bouncing around in my head so long).  I can’t ever remember the damn name of it though.

And spike my egg nog all up.

Cause I got me some Christmas spirit going on.  Don’t judge.  Don’t hate.

OK.  I got way off the beaten path there.

in closing i’d like to say thankyou to that magazine for making me see i are not so dumb afterall.  maybe i can write  maybe i am even smarter they are.

Jennifer November 8, 2011 at 6:41 pm

best line in here:”Crap I used to lose sleep over for days I now won’t waste a fart over.” Ahaha! As for the response, ummm, WOW! I cannot believe a magazine would assign correspondence to someone so obviously clueless about how to properly communicate!
Jennifer recently posted..Candy ConundrumMy Profile

Carrie November 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I am just straight up hoping somebody brought their kid to work and they were “helping.”

Which, behind the keyboard ain’t really where they should be helping. I’m shooting blanks here…trying.

Lisa Guedry November 8, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Their loss honey….I’m sure your essay was, at least, grammatically correct!

Carrie November 8, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Yeah. And I’m pretty sure I didn’t curse in it.

I think.

Karyn November 9, 2011 at 3:18 am

Amen to that!

I would love to see what you wrote, so maybe you could publish it here sometime? You could also shop that article to numerous magazines, you never know, one of them may actually know good grammar and of course a brilliant WRITER when they see one!
Karyn recently posted..And The Mouse Made FourMy Profile

Carrie November 9, 2011 at 6:04 am

Aww…you’re too kind. I’ll slap it up here later. I just sat and stared at my monitor for like 8 minutes, without blinking I think, when I got that little email back.

I kept saying, “And you’re a magazine. Wow.”

mark @ yelling near you November 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Ha! Their loss. The email culture in some businesses is ridiculous. They barely communicate, it’s like grunts and hand slaps to the ground but in a digital form. Communicating with someone outside the organization should rise above that kind of crap. Unprofessional.
mark @ yelling near you recently posted..Inflation is a BitchMy Profile

Carrie November 9, 2011 at 6:14 pm

True…absolutely should be a bit more professional.

If I had a dollar every time someone said that about me though…I could retire. =)

Jennifer November 10, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I don’t even have a response for that. Just… yeah.

I’m loving me some Christmas this year too. I don’t know what I’m even going to buy anyone and I haven’t bought the first present, but I’m ready to get the party started.
Jennifer recently posted..Big Challenges, Weight Watchers Week 5My Profile

Carrie November 10, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Just had to drive through downtown ATX. The holiday greenery is already draped across the streets.

I’m loving it.

Till about December 19. Then I’m gonna be sick of it. Cause like everything else us ATX weirdos do, we overdo holidays, too.

Felicia November 10, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I wouldn’t lose sleep OR waste a fart over that one, Carrie. On to bigger and better, Sassy Lady.
Felicia recently posted..I Went to Celtic Fest and All I Got Was…a Kilt?My Profile

Carrie November 10, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Believe me…nothing was/has been/will be/is lost over that.

The minute this writing/blogging stuff becomes a job is the minute I stop.

Krystyn (Krizzy Designs) November 10, 2011 at 9:17 pm

That’s the crappiest letter ever. Seriously, is it that hard to use punctuation and capital letters?

Man, hitting that shift button was hard, now that I think about it.
Krystyn (Krizzy Designs) recently posted..Rockin’ Green Laundry Detergent Review and GiveawayMy Profile

Carrie November 10, 2011 at 9:20 pm

HAHAHA!! That was good!

(Damn exclamation marks are gonna kill me.)

Maren November 12, 2011 at 8:18 am

Haha! Waste not farts, as they can …. come in … handy?? 😀 Loved that!

I’m a bit surprised by that elementary school styled reply you got. You’d think people were actually able to punctuate by the time they grow up. Then again .. I guess not!
Maren recently posted..Checking in!My Profile

Carrie November 12, 2011 at 8:27 am

And a girl after my own heart who understands YES! They do sometimes come in handy!

And I hear you about the emailed reply. I just stared. And stared. And stared some more.

Dena November 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm

“I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas”… bet that’s the Christmas duet you are talking about!

oops, i punctuated and capitalized in the first line… guess I better put that on my new years things to do something about…. NOT!

Luv Ya Red!

Carrie November 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Nope. That ain’t it. But now that one is stuck in my head. Here in November.

I’m gonna have to do the Google on it, I guess.

{ 1 trackback }