Dance? Oh, I’ll dance. Just not before 10:00 am.

February 6, 2012 in Me and My Public Self

I’m way past the point in life to where I envy much.

Or anyone.

Or anything.

Except for those damn women who can eat like a linebacker and yet somehow still stay a size 6.

Without ever breaking a sweat.  Ever.

Anyhow.

I’m not a morning person.  I live alone.  And even when I was married, my mornings consisted of no more than:

1.    Hit the snooze

2.    Hit the snooze

3.    Hit the snooze

4.    Furiously stomp into the bathroom to get dressed

5.    Furiously stomp back into the bedroom to turn off the alarm I forgot to turn off when I slung the covers off and said “damn it” out loud and got out of bed

6.    Furiously stomp back into the bathroom to finish getting dressed

7.    Furiously stomp out of the bathroom dressed

8.     Get in the car

9.     Stop and get gas, of course

10.   Go to work

No words, no coffee, no nothing.

By about 10:00 am though, I am ready to be the life of the party.  And life is a total party for the rest of the day.

The other morning while stopped at a light in the drizzling rain, I was checking my lipstick and glaring at my stupid hair in the mirror.

(Key word here is drizzle.)

(I wish I had the balls to wear wigs some days.)

Of course, I was at the longest light in the southern states since I was running late and I notice this guy standing by the bus stop.  And he’s dancing with his umbrella.

I’m not talking snapping his fingers or bobbing his head.  I’m talking he was totally busting-a-move in the best busting-a-move way I have seen in ages.

In the drizzle.

Since I’m not a morning person, I was barking at my purse while I was grabbing for my phone to get a shot of him in action.

Crap was all up in my way…wallet, some stupid ass receipt I kept for no reason, gum, that big Altoids tin, a wrapped pad that is now coming unwrapped but yet still in there, lotion too big for purse size, my passport, all kinds of just crap.

(Yeah.  My passport.)

(Like I’m gonna just hop a plane to France on any given day.)

(Stupid.)

But I got my phone just as he was finishing up his moves.  He had already closed up his umbrella but I got what I could get.

(And the friggin light was still red.)

And after seeing him, for a moment I thought to myself:

“Now, why can’t you be just half that much of a morning person?  Life would be so much more enjoyable.  You have so much to be happy about.  You have been blessed with a life others might even envy.  So, take on his attitude.  And dance.  And dance when you least likely feel like it.  Dance because you have so much to dance about.”

Then the light turned green.

And I honked at the car in front of me.

{ 39 comments }

Jennifer February 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I’m cracking up. I am NOT a morning person. I’m a “if you talk to me in the morning I will kill you” person. David, on the other hand, is a morning person. It is a wonder that we’ve stayed married as long as we have.
Jennifer recently posted..Pinterest, Huh?!My Profile

Carrie February 6, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Back when I was like 21, my dad took me on a business trip with him to Hilton Head Island. Mom was in school for teaching and couldn’t miss class, so I pulled rank amongst us sisters and went.

Gorgeous everything. All expenses paid.

(One of dad’s favorite things is to do breakfast. We try to have it together at least once a month now just to solve the worlds problems and such.)

He never once ate breakfast with his oldest child on that whole week-long trip.

And because he knows how I am in the mornings…he was perfectly fine with that.

Chantelle February 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Wow, no coffee? For me that would be like going without oxygen. I’m the same way in the mornings, only with coffee of course. People usually wait til I’m on my second cup before they approach and speak to me.
Chantelle recently posted..My sister tried to show me her pooter.My Profile

Carrie February 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Well, first thing I do when I get to the office is coffee.

If I didn’t stop and pay $47 for it somewhere else. Which sometimes is totally worth the cost.

Chantelle February 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I could see it being worth it. lol
Chantelle recently posted..My sister tried to show me her pooter.My Profile

Blog Wobble February 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm

LOL that is awesome!

I am not a morning person so much but I have always had to be up before the sun being a single mum and all.

All I can say is I wish I could move my fat ass as well as he does, then I would be dancing a lot more LOL
Blog Wobble recently posted..When the Scales Lie.My Profile

Carrie February 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Girl, It’d take a whole lot for me to be that chipper, that early in that weather.

But dude had it going on.

Bella February 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Totally not a morning person here either. I’n fact, I’m not ready to smile, let alone dance, until noon lol. But i do BLAST the music in my car just as soon as I drop The Professor off at school. Just don’t expect me to e happy about anything until noon lol.
Bella recently posted..That day when I couldn’t offer you comfort…My Profile

Carrie February 6, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thank you. Glad to hear I’m not alone!

A Boy's Mom February 6, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I despise mornings. On Monday I’m counting down til my next sleep in day. I don’t speak in the mornings either, unless I have to, which is most mornings. If I could get by with the grunt and gesture I would. Apparently my six year old doesn’t understand that.

I don’t drink coffee either so that means I’m chugging Dr. Pepper first thing.

Gotta do whatcha gotta do.

I wish I could be that happy too. Heck, I just wish I could dance like that. At any time.

Let’s try it some day? Shall we?
A Boy’s Mom recently posted..Teaching Stories: Some things you just can’t make up.My Profile

Carrie February 6, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Grunts and gestures. That’s good. I could totally communicate that way.

Absolutely.

Breane Dooley February 6, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I just can’t figure out why you are telling us about your “wrapped pad”. That’s kinda personal, dontcha think? ;)

I bust a move like that on my way to work. In the car. By myself. Quite often. That’s why I like it dark on my way in. (That and I always seem to be behind HR – probably planning to order some psych eval on me).

Carrie February 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Kinda personal? You decide.

I could have filmed that, too. ;-)

Amanda February 6, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I am not a morning person either. Any time after noon, I think I can dance like that. I also think I can sing along with the radio. My husband and twins disagree with me (loudly and often), but I think they’re tone deaf and have no style. If I can keep up with a Zumba class, I must be pretty coordinated, right?
Amanda recently posted..Photogenic BoysMy Profile

Carrie February 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I say sing it and sing it loud!

The louder the better! =)

Maggie S. February 7, 2012 at 8:59 am

I think you need a collection of wigs. Like a little Hannah Montana for everyday of the week.

I did what that guy was doing when I went to China for the first time because I was pretty pissed by the last 6 days, and was all like…”I don’t give a care what ALL OF THESE MANY FREAKING PEOPLE think.” I put the iPod in my ears and belted it out all the long walk home from the “school” at 11:00 p.m.

I am a morning person. God created us this way. Someone has to be alert in the day. Someone needs to be alert in the night. While it would be lovely to be able to bust a proper move while waiting for the bus, you don’t need fixing.

My favorite thing about morning is that my living room windows are on the east. I can watch the sky lighten, sip the coffee, and be silent.
Maggie S. recently posted..Nobody Cares, but It Makes Me Feel Better…My Profile

Carrie February 7, 2012 at 10:22 am

And this is why I love Maggie:

“God created us this way. Someone has to be alert in the day. Someone needs to be alert in the night.”

And there’s no one better than you to take on the mornings for me!

Major loveage.

Tiffany Barry February 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

I’m with you.

My husband and I are both suicidal until at least 8:30 am. If we want to stay married, we don’t speak to each other until we’re both fully awake or it’s ugly. Really ugly.

Love the umbrella dancing, though. It’s past 8:30 now, so I can look at it objectively, lol.
Tiffany Barry recently posted..Pinterest: Love & HateMy Profile

Carrie February 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Now, that I totally understand. I try to be all friendly and happy in the morning…but well…puke.

fashionista era February 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

HAHAHAH!! Oh gosh, this is so very funny!! THe video really is insightful and yes we should be grateful for this. Erm honey, btw, I’m one of those people who eats A LOT and then doesn’t put on that much weight tho i do Yoga…heheh…but yah ppl think I’m not much of a eater, and i love eating a lot. hehe…cracked me up as usual…big hugs darling and yes I’m having a nice time here, tho its freaking cold making the most of it hehehe….hugsssss

xoxo hanz

Carrie February 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I don’t know how you skinny girls do it! But wait…you’re young. It’ll catch up. Just don’t let it sneak up on you!

So glad you’re having a great time. Can’t wait to see the pics! Stay warm!! =)

Jennifer February 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm

My husband is a morning person. I am not. I wish I were- for the same reasons as you- but then morning rolls around and I’m not again. In high school, I think we had to be at school around 7:50 or 7:40?? ANYWAY- I would get out of bed 30 minutes before I had to be at school. That was back when we sprayed our hair to hell- so I would fix it the night before, spray it and then fly out of bed in the morning, pee, brush my teeth, fluff my hair back up with a pick, spray it, throw on the outfit I laid out the night before and head to school. Usually catching the train and making me late.
Jennifer recently posted..How to Raise a CodgerMy Profile

Carrie February 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Wanna hear something sad?

I am totally elated, like over the moon on those mornings I get up and see I can hang my head out of the shower spray because my hair isn’t all jacked up and bedheaded to the high heavens.

Completely. Makes. My. Day.

Enough to where I tell everyone I work with.

“Hey. I didn’t have to wash my hair this morning…look.”

Cause that makes me happy. And well, I kinda have to announce my happiness anytime before 10:00. It’s not too obvious.

Krystyn (Krizzy Designs) February 7, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I go back and forth on my “morning person” status. Right now? That my kids are waking up at 5:30? Not a morning person.

But, I’ve seen people do this many times here, too! But, never inspired me to be a morning person…not like that.
Krystyn (Krizzy Designs) recently posted..Mommy and Me at CEC | 103rd edMy Profile

Carrie February 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Right now, you have every right to be any kind of person you want! That new baby girl you’re about to have is calling all the shots, I’m sure!!

Still can’t wait till she’s here and we get lots and lots of pics!!!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell February 7, 2012 at 11:14 pm

OH my gosh, you crack me up with your morning crank. At least you’re not so far gone that you don’t recognize a happy morning person!
Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell recently posted..Please Identify – WWMy Profile

Carrie February 8, 2012 at 6:10 am

Nope. Although my first reaction was, “WTF is that idiot doing?”

Then I got tickled.

Elaine February 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm

My husband would say I am not a morning person. But his version of morning is 7 a.m. MIne is more like yours, 9 or 10 or so… And the kids? well, all bets are off there. I was just thankful the little ones slept until almost 8 this morning! WOOT!

Love the dancing dude!! :D
Elaine recently posted..My Kids Crack Me UpMy Profile

Carrie February 9, 2012 at 8:41 am

The bad thing is…I used to could sleep till noon. Easy.

Now? 8:00 is late. And it’s really not bad getting up early as long as I don’t have to look at anyone, hear anyone, speak to anyone or well, breathe.

Maren February 9, 2012 at 2:49 am

I’m not NOT a morning person, I’m usually just so sleepy that I’m practically comatose. My mom used to tell me that it was pointless talking to me, because I’d only give random answers anyway. You won’t find me dancing in the streets in the morning for sure :p
Maren recently posted..Introducing: My biggest challenge yet.My Profile

Carrie February 9, 2012 at 8:42 am

I’m not sure you’d want to see me dancing in the streets in the morning OR in the afternoon.

Rhythm does not discriminate with the time of day for me. That’s for sure.

Connie Weiss February 9, 2012 at 9:33 am

Hey cranky pants!

I am a morning person and I love it! But that also means that I can’t stay awake past 9:30.
Connie Weiss recently posted..Bachelor Ben: Courtney is WinningMy Profile

Carrie February 9, 2012 at 9:54 am

Cranky pants?!?

I love that!!

Just watched your video and I’m peeing. Literally peeing.

LOVE!

mark February 9, 2012 at 11:51 am

You and Bitsy are one in the same when it comes to mornings. There’s no talking and anything important information communicated will be forgotten. Strangely I saw a guy do something similar while crossing the street last week. Maybe it was lead-up to the full moon?
mark recently posted..No Thanks, LarryMy Profile

Felicia February 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Every once in a while, when the stars are aligned, my chi is clear and I’ve had some (a gallon of) coffee, I dance in my bathroom getting ready in the morning. This is an extremely rare occurrence.
Felicia recently posted..Oh, Nordstrom Rack, How I’ve Missed YouMy Profile

Regina February 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I used to be a morning person. My day is half over at 3pm.

I am now forced to be a morning person as my kids need to be up and off to school by 9.

I would like to crawl back into bed, but I need to work and then I’m still up until 10/11 at night.

I will have to remember that dude and his happy dance.
Regina recently posted..Kelloggs $10 gift card rebateMy Profile

Karyn February 14, 2012 at 6:40 pm

This is what I love about Americans, you would never see an Australian do that anywhere – we are too concerned about looking “stupid”. I love that there are so many people in your country who do whatever makes them feel good ‘and to hell with what the world thinks.’ Its one of my favorite things about the USA!
Karyn recently posted..Halfway DeadMy Profile

The Mother Freakin' Princess February 15, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I am soooo not a morning person. I feel bad for anyone who comes in contact with me before 10:00 am. :D
The Mother Freakin’ Princess recently posted..There is NOTHING better then a handmade ValentineMy Profile

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 19, 2012 at 12:04 am

i love this! I really do. This reminds me of the stoplight I was at a month or so ago and some guy was literally sitting at the bus stop jamming out on his guitar. And I mean singing LOUD. My son was with me and he said “Do you think he thinks this is New York City?” and then commented where was his hat for collecting change. Who knows? I just know that guy was jamming out on his guitar seemingly without a care in the world. And I kinda loved it and wished I could be just like that in a way. So I love this post!! And also that you have tons of crap in your purse because I do too!
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..Dealing with itMy Profile