Don’t assume I get high because I have a heavy twang.

April 13, 2012 in Crap I Was Considerate Enough to Not Bother You with Before Now.,Stuff I Should Think About Regretting Later

It is really no secret I have an accent.

Ok.  A twang.

And it’s heavy.

I know this.

Usually the first words I hear after meeting someone for the first time is, “Oh, my goodness you have that Texas twang.”

No shit.

I’ve lived here in Texas all my life.  Except for about 6 weeks when I called Newark, NJ home.

And I might as well have been living in China.  Because those damn northerners had no clue what I was saying.

None.

I was told I added way too many syllables to one-syllable words and well, for the most part…I was told nothing.

Because they couldn’t understand anything I asked.

They would just look at me.  In the face.  And stare.

(And I’d look at them.  In the face.  And stare right back when they asked shit like, “So, do you ride horses?” and “Do you really have oil wells in your backyard?” and “How big is your truck?”)

Then I’d walk off mumbling some curse words.  Which I totally shouldn’t have mumbled because they apparently wouldn’t have understood me anyway.

So.

I have a twang.

It’s true.

And it’s fine if people don’t understand me.  It’s usually in their best interest if they DON’T understand me…but a damn phone?

I make myself reminders pretty regularly on my phone.  This has taken the place of voicemailing myself and emailing myself.

(Because I’m hip like that.)

But “I” am the only one who knows what these reminders are.

Should my phone ever come up missing or God help the soul of any mofo that steals it…the reminders I’ve left on it would make the strongest shake their head in amazement.

(Shut it.)

I’ll be toodling down the road headed to work or somewhere a little more joyous and remember I need to pay rent.

So, I hit the button in my car that turns on that bluetooth thing that I still really don’t know how to work and I say, “Remind me to pay rent.”

Easy enough.

Here’s what pops up on my phone as my reminder of just that:

Go on. Say it outloud.

Yep.

(And yep again.  It’s Siri.  That bitch hates me and well, I ain’t inviting her to any happy hours anytime soon.)

There’s my reminder to “Pay riant.”

If you say it out loud and do it phonetically correct (I ain’t got a clue what that means) to yourself now, you’ll sound just like me saying “pay rent.”

Ri-ant.

“Ri” with a long i and the word “ant.”

Uh, huh.  Riant.  I have to pay it before the 4th of every month.

I’m used to this crap though.  Doesn’t really bother me.

Except for what happened yesterday morning.

Once again, I’m headed to work because apparently that’s all I do in life is head to work and I wanted to set myself a reminder to steal my sister’s iPad before she left on her honeymoon this weekend.

(Cause really…if she needs that iPad on her honeymoon, a stolen iPad ain’t her biggest problem.)

So, once again I hit the button in my car that turns on that bluetooth thing that I still really don’t know how to work and I say, “Get iPad.”

(No details are necessary.)

(Just that notice alone will remind me to sneak to her desk and snag it when she’s peeing or in a meeting.)

(Which really, now that I think about it…the same is accomplished regardless which of those you’re doing.)

(Yes.  We work together.)

(Well…not “together.”)

(She does crap I don’t understand and I do crap she thinks is too fun to get paid to do.)

(Who’s the loser here?)

(Uh, yeah…that’s what I thought.)

Anyway.  Back to me stealing her iPad.

And here’s the reminder Siri sent me on my thieving future:

Apparently, Siri knows my sister and feels I need to be “high” before I steal her iPad.

(Probably so I won’t feel the immense pain when she cuts a finger off.)

(Cause she’s all about her iPad.)

(The sister.)  (Not Siri.)  (Siri is apparently all about trying to be cute.)

Go ahead.  Say it out loud.

“Get high.”

Yep.  You just sounded like me saying “Get iPad.”

I don’t know either.  Don’t even go there.

But just think.  If my phone ever ends up in the wrong hands…how jackassy is it gonna look that I have to set myself reminders to get high?

(Which I don’t do.)

(Get high.)

(Or set myself reminders to get high.)

Siri is just making me look like some hi-tech doper.

(Or some loser that has doped up so much in their lifetime, they can’t even remember WHEN to get high.)

Which I guess is better than a 9-fingered used-iPad owner.

What an ass.

(Siri.)  (Not me this time.)

Jennifer April 13, 2012 at 9:20 am

Hilarious!!! I’m thinking about switching from a Droid to an ipone in a few months…can you get one without that Siri bitch on it? I have enough problems in life without being nagged by a judgy phone robot lady.
Jennifer recently posted..And the Oscar Goes To…My Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 9:25 am

Yeah…I think you can get it one upgrade lower.

I don’t know what that means either. I just know the dude asked me if I wanted something or something and I said, “I want the one with Siri.”

So, I got it.

And I do really love it…but don’t use it as much as I thought I would.

However, she’s pretty helpful when she ain’t being all uppity on me.

Jennifer April 13, 2012 at 10:17 am

Oh how I understand. You think NJ is bad. Those people in Boston? Geeze Louise. I didn’t understand them and they didn’t understand me so we would both sit around talking really slow trying to understand each other. It was horrible.

I want the new iPhone coming out, and it better not have that bitch Siri on it.
Jennifer recently posted..You vs. YouMy Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 10:44 am

Amen. And the funny thing to me was, I only thought I talked fast.

Whoa, Nelly. I’ve got nothing on folks in the north when it comes to word-speed.

Karine April 13, 2012 at 11:13 am

You’re friggin’ hilarious!!! I would love to have a conversation with you… me a weird French-Canadian that speaks Frenglish (that’s French and English in one… just ’cause I’m THAT bilingual) and you with your cute Texan accent… holy we’d have fun! Just don’t get offended by anything I say and I’ll pretend to understand everything you say (’cause that’s how we roll up here in the way, way north… I mean, we’re that polite… I’m not talking about rolling a doobie. I am NOT in cahoots with Siri, I swear!) Great post! Love it!
Karine recently posted..Pregnancy Test One Thousand And OneMy Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 11:45 am

HAHAH!!! And I could probably bust out my British accent that sounds nothing like a real British accent except in my head!

I’m kinda bilingual in a way. I’ve got my twang, I know ‘hola’ and a couple of other Spanish words and can straight up teach Jackassy.

So, really…that makes me trilingual. Damn, I’m smarter than I thought. Glad you commented!!

Anne April 13, 2012 at 12:26 pm

This is hilarious. And yes, I totally just sat at my desk talking to myself. It’s cool, my coworkers already know I’m insane. I lived in Jacksonville, FL on and off for about 10 years, but don’t have an accent. The Jersey girl in me is strong. 😉 But I love a Southern accent – I have a lot of family from Texas so it always reminds me of them, and I love their crazy Texas asses.
Anne recently posted..Christina Aguilera Stole My ShoesMy Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I used to be a flight attendant and flew out of EWR. And did my best to say “cawhfee” like the northern passengers.

I guess because it’s different from mine, but I love that northern accent. I just can’t make it work for me. Though it never stops me from trying it when my British accent miserably fails.

Anne April 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I used to drink and after a few I always thought it was hilarious to adopt a new accent – British, Irish, Scottish, they were all horribly bad, but that never stopped me!
Anne recently posted..Christina Aguilera Stole My ShoesMy Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Oh, NO! Girl…the more wine I have the more elite I sound!

In a rather hillbilly-ish way, but who cares?!? In my mind, I’m rockin’ that Britishness.

Kat1e April 13, 2012 at 12:36 pm

What I really want to know is what or who is riant? There’s an equestrian centre (that’s how they spell it)….you got a new horse, Carrie?
OR what do we think of Riant as a trendy new baby name (means laughing and happy) anyone? anyone? Carrie is willing to pay him or her.

love it!
Kat1e recently posted..The case of the Zombie ButterflyMy Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 12:54 pm

And you know, the bad thing? I canceled and repeated that “pay rent” to her about 4 times and she STILL kept saying, “pay riant?”

Finally, I just said, “Yes…damnit. Remind me to pay my friggin riant.”

And no. No horses for me. That would consist of having to do a cowboy hat. And I ain’t messing up my weave for no horse.

James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil April 13, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Unless you’re greatly exaggerating, that’s not a “twang”, it’s a speech impediment.

I spent my formative years in Virginia and Alabama. No one has ever had a problem understanding me when I’m speaking, nor have I ever had a problem understanding Texans. Perhaps you could put a little more effort into your speech?
James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil recently posted..Penn Jillette the 2012 ElectionsMy Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Well, while I do appreciate the “diagnosis”….it’s a twang. All Texans know a twang when they hear one.

Mixed with a little satire, humor, sarcasm and well…tons of stuff.

But certainly not much seriousness. Not much at’all.

James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil April 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Nope, not much seriousness. More making fun of northerners for not being able to understand regional accents. (except their own

FWIW, it’s a-tall. We southerners of add an “a” to verbs. “where you a-goin’?” Maybe it’s to compensate for the “g” we leave off? 😉

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I kNEW when I hit ‘submit’ with ‘at’all” you just might catch that!

You certainly won’t find a lot of “right” over here with me, but you sure will find lots of fun and laughing! Lots. Then even some more.

I’m not sure about that “a-goin'” stuff, but I will admit to doing “ya’ll” wrong. That apostrophe is dropped so much in the wrong place….it’s almost right.

To me. =)

Thanks for commenting, James…you’re cool.

James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil April 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm

One thing I have noticed from your site, via your site, Facebook is tracing me. I have the Collusion add-on for FIreFox. I am not Facebook user nor do I use any social media site. I suspect I am far from the only one. I really don;t care for having my information collected by a site like Facebook that exists solely to collect and sell information about others.

Connie Weiss April 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I keep forgetting that I have Siri.

Yesterday, I told her to remind me to give my daughter her antibiotic at 1pm for the next 9 days. She did it and then I thanked her….because I have manners.

She said….Your wish is my command.

So I told my 5 year old that it’d be swell if SHE would say that every time I thanked her for something.

But she got it wrong and keeps saying….My wish is Your Command. Which is really what she expects.
Connie Weiss recently posted..The Canyon is GrandMy Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 4:18 pm

That’s a pretty smart girl you got there…and I bet she knows exactly what she’s saying, too!!

Siri can be pretty cool if I take my time talking to her…but she spends most of her time telling me she doesn’t understand.

Or to kiss off. =)

jennie April 13, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I totally had a TX accent! When I was in HS I took voice and diction classes because I thought I wanted to be an actress and now I can’t even fake it anymore. DAMN!
jennie recently posted..RIP little carMy Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Keeeep trying. It doesn’t go far. It’s still there.

Trust me. It’s still there!

Jessica April 13, 2012 at 8:10 pm

This getting high appears to be a recurring theme. What’s UP with that???

I should probably use that reminder tool, or the “reminder” app on my phone. I’ve realized my short term memory is fading and not slowly.

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I don’t know what I’d do without that reminder thing on my phone. I use it more than I care to admit.

Sure as hell beats emailing myself from home to work, too.

Amanda April 13, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Bwahahahahaha!!!! That’s exactly how I say rent too! But “high” for “ipad”?? That bitch Siri has lost whatever marbles she ever had!
Amanda recently posted..My Partially Written Nursing AutobiographyMy Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I’m telling you…she throws me for a loop pretty regularly.

Joan @chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate April 13, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Ok, now that I’ve changed my pants (from peeing them) I can make my comments.

On your twang, hubby has an uncle that is so cracker, when I first met him, “Uncle Joe” would speak to me then I would turn to hubby for a translation, haha, Now after 20 years with this family I speak cracker just fine myself. And can translate for foreign “yankees” passing through.

As for Siri, at least you’re not having conversations with her. Hubby has one of those phones and takes great joy in asking questions like “where can I dump a dead body?” Siri will give listings for funeral homes, crematories, and of course the local dump. I won’t tell you some of the other things hubby asks Siri about, he just wants to hear her answers. Better her than me!
I just hope the FBI isn’t recording all these strange questions or we might be in trouble. At least if they get your records we can share a cell? Just make sure you have your sister’s Ipad, better set another reminder.

Hugs xoxoxox
Joan @chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate recently posted..Buttery White BreadMy Profile

Carrie April 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm

OMG THAT is hilarious!! I love your husband! I am SO gonna go ask her some off-the-wall questions now!

I’m shocked that has never crossed my mind before! PERFECTION!

Bobbi April 13, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Okay being from Texas myself, I get the riant one that is in fact how I say it. The get ipad one not so much.

Sorry I have been so quiet, I went to the nut house for a week about two weeks ago still trying to catch up.
Bobbi recently posted..Keep your NutellaMy Profile

Carrie April 14, 2012 at 6:44 am

I know…the ‘Get iPad’ threw me off as well. When I looked at it I just shook my head in total disbelief and just rolled with it.

There is no arguing with Siri. Trust me, I’ve tried. =)

Kristy April 13, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Omgsh! I ‘m freakin bustin a gut! Carrie! This is some funny crap ri’ here! 😉
Kristy recently posted..A German award awarded!My Profile

Carrie April 14, 2012 at 6:45 am

All true…all true. But I just keep telling myself, “it is what it is.”

Looking forward to meeting up with you next week…CAN’T WAIT!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell April 14, 2012 at 12:46 am

I love that she interpreted your accent like that! :) That made me smile so much!

Carrie April 14, 2012 at 6:46 am

I’m glad, though when it’s happening and she’s trying to act like I’m so un-understandable…it ain’t cute.

Maggie S. April 14, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Sister…did you pay the rent on time? Did you get the iPad?

You are a comic genius.
Maggie S. recently posted..New Season of Life; Handling BlessingMy Profile

Carrie April 14, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Rent is paid but didn’t get the iPad. She’s no fool…she’s been dealing with me for close to 40 years now. She knows how I operate.

Plus, her desk drawers lock.

wendy April 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm

dude, i don’t know where to begin with this post.

well, maybe i’ll leave it at this: there is so much comedy here, i want to know if you’ve ever considered adding some sort of a buttony, clicky think to your banner at the top of this page that would allow people to hear you announcing yourself as “a sassy redhead” when visitors arrive. immediately, people would have a taste of what was to come.

also, i dare you to say the words “a sassy redhead” into your phone. i’m dying to hear what siri thinks your saying instead.
wendy recently posted..Comment on The high price of fighting boredom by MollyMy Profile

Carrie April 14, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Dude. I love that you say ‘dude’, too. I ‘dude’ most everyone.

Dude.

Now I’m laughing.

And I’m almost afraid of what Siri would put in place of ‘sassy redhead’ if I mouthed that little jewel to her. Plus, she’d really tick me off if she came back with something that wasn’t even close like ‘idiot skank’ or something.

Maren April 14, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Haha, this is hilarous! I love that twang!
I have a cousin that is currently an exchange student in Texas, and she’s adopting some pretty funny (to me, not you) words/pronunciations, I must say!
Maren recently posted..Let me tempt you…My Profile

Carrie April 14, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I’m telling you…our Texas stuff sticks like glue.

You probably have a Texas twang just from reading this. =)

Jamie April 14, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Oh my gosh!! That was just so much awesome wrapped in to one post! Loved it!! I love your twang!
Jamie recently posted..Moving Right AlongMy Profile

Carrie April 14, 2012 at 6:51 pm

You know you got it, too.

I even read the word “twang” in your comment with 4 syllables to it.
Carrie recently posted..Don’t assume I get high because I have a heavy twang.My Profile

Fashionista Era April 15, 2012 at 6:13 am

HAHAHAHAHHA!! HOW FUNNY IS THAT!! Well two concerns i relate to – Accent (ive got a completely different accent than the Americans being from Asian origin :p) I guess I will always stay true to myself than become oneof those Asians-wannabes- turned american accent to be cooler or hipper or whatever…lol. I just love my accent :p Luckily its pretty okay, lol most ppl do follow me EXCEPT SIRI. She is a pain in my…u know what lol. Half the time she gets whatever I say wrong, so its just so useless to have her…!! And IPAD – im obsessed with mine too…the other day my hubby tried to take it away from me and I kinda started missing it like it was my own baby or something hahaha…!! So yr not alone hun 😉 been there…..!! Lol

Carrie April 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

Ooohhh…I bet you have a gorgeous accent.

But I’m glad to know Siri harasses not only those with twangs, but those with accents as well.

And girl, there IS a difference between a twang and an accent!

Fashionista Era (@Fashionistaera) April 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm

BTw, so I want you to do a guest post for my blog sweetie if u want :)) i would love it..take your time, just let me know by when u can do this.

Appreciate it sweetie 😀 a funny, hilarious you is all i need for my blog hah!!

Sarah April 15, 2012 at 7:48 am

I have been asked many times where I am from because people can’t place my accent. Funny, I am from Washington state. Is there a discernible accent there? Many times I am asked if I am from Kansas. I don’t recall Dorothy or Toto having an accent. So I feel your pain. And watch out for Siri. I hear she’ll drop the dime on you for an empty promise and that ain’t good-especially when she is listening to everything you say.
Sarah recently posted..There’s Better Blogging in the FutureMy Profile

Carrie April 15, 2012 at 7:59 am

Can you imagine all the stories she could tell on everyone??

If she ever put a top ten list together of strangest, oddest, most ridiculous reminders she’s received…you KNOW it’d be a good one!

Rob R April 15, 2012 at 10:51 am

LOL. For me it’s kind of the reverse. I grew up in NJ (though not the rough neck of the woods, like Newark), spent 3 years in San Diego, and now have been living in North Carolina for the past 6. Most native NC people are not happy with the surge of Yankees like me who have taken over the state in the last several years. They all assume that because I’m from NJ, I must be in the mafia or know Snooki (god forbid). I just tell them to go back to the Waffle House and shut the f up.
Rob R recently posted..We Have More Art Than The LouvreMy Profile

Carrie April 15, 2012 at 10:57 am

Wait a minute here.

You’re from New Jersey.

AND YOU DON’T. KNOW. SNOOKI??

Dude, are you for real?

And why is it we have so many Waffle House joints around here? I guess us southerners love us some breakfast grub.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down April 15, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Oh my gosh I was laughing so hard I couldn’t see out of my eyes to write a comment. I had to wait!! hahahahaha….Siri hates me too but not like she hates you! This is freakin hilarious!!!!!!!!! I still haven’t stopped laughing over you coming out of that hotel with the cash to pay the cabbie. Oh man…my ribs hurt
Holly from 300 Pounds Down recently posted..All Things NewMy Profile

Carrie April 16, 2012 at 7:58 am

Well now I do feel better knowing Siri isn’t out just to get me…she apparently has a major attitude with most people.

mark April 16, 2012 at 12:57 am

I do have to give Siri credit for not being judgmental. At least she will obey and remind anyone who pleases to get high.

How big is your truck, anyway? :-)
mark recently posted..This one time, in Fifth Grade…My Profile

Carrie April 16, 2012 at 8:00 am

No kidding, dude…she does NOT discriminate in the least bit.

Good one on the truck, too. I got nothing after that…nothing.

And I have no truck, too.

mark April 16, 2012 at 9:40 am

I know you don’t have a truck, it was just hanging there for the taking. Just like we live in igloos in Canada and drink Coke with polar bears. Ya know, eh?
mark recently posted..This one time, in Fifth Grade…My Profile

Carrie April 16, 2012 at 10:54 am

Oh, I know!! HAHA!!

But I was busy feeding the horses, jumping the tumbleweed blowing through my yard and gauging the oil wells when I replied earlier.

My truck humor was lacking. =)

Barbara April 16, 2012 at 9:12 am

Oh, how I love this! I’m trying to talk my mother into getting Siri. The hilarity will be epic.
Barbara recently posted..Downton Arby’sMy Profile

Carrie April 16, 2012 at 10:56 am

Pure fun.

Get this.

Yesterday, I had my niece with me and we were looking for an ice cream place so I hit the bluetooth thing and said, “Nearest Amy’s Ice Cream.”

Siri came back with “I have 7 locations near you. And do you know how to make a dinosaur float? You take root bear, ice cream and add a dinosaur.”

My niece was screaming!

Siri is never that comical with me. Never. She was apparently trying to sway my niece over to her side.

Linda @ My Name is Momma April 16, 2012 at 12:55 pm

OMG! LOL

Nathalie April 17, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’ve lived in the south a long time, and in the area in which I live there is a large range of the southern accent, so I’ve gotten used to most sounds of the southern accent. . . Siri is just being a bitch. I guess she doesn’t like southern accents. . . ;0)
Nathalie recently posted..Wednesday Pinterest Roundup: Funnies. . .My Profile

Carrie April 19, 2012 at 1:25 pm

It is quite evident…Siri is not a southern girl.

Not once has she said, “Bless your heart” to me.

Not once.

kika April 18, 2012 at 3:05 pm

oh gosh. bahahaha, I’m still wiping the tears. You know, before I did my internship with the NBC affiliate out in Austin, I had never before been to Texas, and yes yes I was one of those naive ones, wondering if I was gonna be stuck in a town stuck in an old western. To the contrary Austin has become one of my favorite cities of all time. I love Texas LOL. I even love the “twang” 😀
kika recently posted..Conference…My Profile

Carrie April 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Texas is a place of it’s own…nothing like it. As you now see, huh?

Austin is fabulous. After 2 weeks here, I immediately felt like it was “home” and it now is.

You ever come back this way…let me know. We’ll grab a glass of wine!

Jennifer April 19, 2012 at 7:55 am

This made me laugh so hard! Mostly because I am from the same part of TX as you and I can totally hear you saying that! Also- because I have lived in NJ for almost 12 years and they still sometimes talk too fast for my brain to register it immediately. There is a speech-to-understanding lag time which makes for awkward conversation some time. I am told I have lost my TX accent by Texans… but people here still automatically zoom in on the “twang” as soon as I open my mouth. I believe my problem came when I moved from TX to England (that’s a WHOLE DIFFERENT accent) and had to learn to slow down and enunciate everything for them to get me. Mix twelve years of Jersey in with that and, yeah… my accent is all messed up! BUT.. most importantly… I can still break out the “y’all” and “Aww hell no” with the best of them!
Jennifer recently posted..Wordful Wednesday-Can You Pop ‘Round for Some Tea, Telly and a Chat?My Profile

Carrie April 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Next time you’re this way…let me know and we’ll practice the British accent I’ve got working.

It’s not quite up to par, but I’m getting there. Or at least “I” think I am.

I can only imagine the looks you get bouncing from your different twangs…I love that!

Liz April 19, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’ve gotten used to most sounds of the southern accent. . . Siri is just being a bitch. Thanks that you’ve shared.
Liz recently posted..Hcg diet reviewsMy Profile

Carrie April 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Siri and I have our good days and our bad days.

It’s just that our bad days outnumber the good.

And well, she hates me.

Kim April 19, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I loved this post! Mostly because I am from Rhode Island and almost spit water all over my keyboard and computer at work. That would have been a fun conversation with the IT guy!

Hysterical as always!
Kim recently posted..Hello, my name is…My Profile

Carrie April 19, 2012 at 1:30 pm

HAHAH!!! Oh yeah…IT would totally love you for that!

Karyn April 19, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Hilarious! I spent the better part of 2 years in Fort Worth saying things like “pardon me?” “could you repeat that?” “Im sorry, what did you say?” and finally, just nodding and smiling like a bobble-head doll because I had no idea what the hell they just said and I wasn’t about to ask for a third time. Love it!
Karyn recently posted..Sneaking in the Back DoorMy Profile

Carrie April 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Girl, I live here and find myself sometimes doing the same thing! =)

Michaela Schulz April 19, 2012 at 10:50 pm

This is hilarious. LOL. Looks like you can’t do anything about that anymore. This intrigued me, I wanna hear you speak!
Michaela Schulz recently posted..Specialty Makeup Brushes for the Average PersonMy Profile

Carrie April 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

HA! And to think most people around me wanna hear me shut up!

Rach (DonutsMama) April 20, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Too funny! I am very familiar with the TX twang, obviously. But I do remember being shocked when I first moved here. Now I worry that every year my twang gets worse and worse.
Rach (DonutsMama) recently posted..Life’s Lessons: The Tired, Whiny EditionMy Profile

Carrie April 22, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Oh, girl…once our twang latches on, it doesn’t let go.

You have probably crossed over to the dark side now.

Regina April 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I have been reading your posts completely wrong! I have been reading them in my Michigan Dialect, versus yours! :)

I’m thinking, and probably over analyzing this, but I think when you said ‘Get I-Pad’, Siri heard, “Get AIH-Pad’ and thought, ah, the Siri chick wants to get high.

Isn’t technology fun?
Regina recently posted..Food on the Table Offer in AprilMy Profile

Carrie April 22, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Let me tell you…I bark about technology ALL the time. But I’d kick a man in his throat if he tried to take any of my technologically-ish stuff from me.

Regina April 22, 2012 at 8:39 pm

:) I do feel for you. I had to pronounce my town name incorrectly to get my phone to bring it up. There should be a setting to have better comprehension of different parts of the country.
Regina recently posted..Baskets of Love Giveaway for Mom Ends 5/5My Profile

katti April 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm

This is absolutely hilarious! Before you mentioned Siri, I was thinking : “well she won’t be using SIRI a lot”. And there you were with your Siri story! I know exactly how you feel! It looks like we don’t have the right accent either (Well English isn’t my first language) and we already had so much fun with Siri misunderstanding all the things we say! For us Siri is mainly fun, not really useful… I think Steve Jobs didn’t t think of that!

ps I especially love your titles; very long and informative LOL-I wouldn’t have clicked on your blog if it weren’t for the titles!
katti recently posted..American InvasionMy Profile

Carrie April 25, 2012 at 11:26 pm

You are totally right! Ol’Steve missed the boat on Siri. Fun…but helpful? Nope.

Not for me.

As soon as I figure out how to invent a hillbilly version of Siri, you will be hearing of my early retirement.

THRILLED you stopped by. Ecstatic! =)

Krystyn May 1, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Siri sucks. I tried to get her to call me Krystyn, but she wouldn’t spell it right.

Then, I spelled it and she called me cry-stein. Seriously, you are right..she’s a bitch and she mocks my spelling.

Thanks mom!

(PS Nobody ever says I have a Texas twang, and they are surprised I was raised there. But, once they find out, they ask if I a) have a horse and/or b) have a gun).
Krystyn recently posted..She smilesMy Profile

Carrie May 2, 2012 at 8:11 am

I don’t think I’ve even tried to get her to say my name. I’ll have to do that.

She’ll probably come back with Jackass.

Katti May 4, 2012 at 6:06 am

Sometimes Siri is kind of clever. When my husband asked her to call his wife, she said something like “tell me who your wife is and I’ll call her”, he said my name, which of course she didn’t understand, and she answered “ok, I will call your boss!”. How did she know that? 😉

My husband is always short and unfriendly to her, when he asks her how she is, she says ‘I am fine,…’ (adding his name) when I ask mine she says “I am fine, miss fabulous (that’s how I made her call me), thanks for asking” LOL!

Carrie May 4, 2012 at 6:33 am

HA! Yeah…she makes a whooooole lotta sense, doesn’t she?!?