I have inspired someone of God knows what and oh, look…there’s my foot.

May 2, 2013 in Me and My Public Self

Katie:  “Soooo, have I asked you yet to trace your foot on a sheet of paper for me?”

Me:  “I can’t honestly say that ANYONE has ever asked me to trace my foot on a sheet of paper for them.”

Katie:  “No rush.  Do it.”

Foot

Y’all.  Come on.  Really?  There is no way I could make this up.

(I don’t think she needed the red toenails, but this is me we’re talking about.)  (And I started to trace it in lipstick, but that stuff ain’t cheap.)

(This is the kind of outlandish things said to me just about every day.  And people call ME weird.)

One day, I’ll be the proud owner of a pair of socks.

Knitted.  By hand.  By Katie.

(How friggin’ out-of-my-gourd sweet is that??)

She’s a knitting fool.  Knits if I’m driving us to lunch, knits while we’re eating lunch, knits on the drive back.  Probably knits on the toilet but I’ll never know.

Trust me on that.  I will never know.

She knits so much, her knitting was requested for a book.  Yes.  She’s kinda famous.  Her work is coming out in a book.

On knitting.

She needed my traced foot to get an idea for size.  Cool.

She’s knitting 50 people a pair of socks.  A life goal of hers.

(Hence, the “no rush” on that tracing.)

This quote came straight from her blog about her life goal of knitting socks for 50 people:

“It is about documenting people that inspire me to hand knit socks. These people are sock-worthy.”

The word that kicks me in the teeth and leaves me a little scrunchy-eyed?  Inspire.

She’s knitting for people who “inspire” her to knit.  Which is her passion.

Me?

The only things I’ve ever known to “inspire” people to do is:

1.  Curse

2.  Leave a room

3.  Let Beyonce’ order a meal at Sonic

4.  Play kickball in pimped out attire

5.  Curse

F.  Kick a wall

G.  Stare in disbelief

(You get the jist.)

But this might be a first I have inspired someone to move forward and grow with their passion.  I’m beyond flattered to be part of a group such as her 50.

(She inspired me today, too.  To write.  Because I could NOT pass up the opportunity to share with you this kind of hilarity that hits me square in the face with no warning.  Completely out of the blue.)

“Soooo, have I asked you yet to trace your foot on a sheet of paper for me?”

Wow.  How could I NOT share THAT?

And sock-worthy.

I’ve been called a lot, but never sock-worthy.

A.  Funny

B.  Ridiculous

C.  Puzzling

D.  Outspoken

5.  Jackassy

(You get the jist.)

And now I can add sock-worthy to the list.  Which is huge.  Because other things I’ve been called I don’t believe actually inspired anyone to do anything.

(Except maybe leave a room.  Or curse.)

But sock-worthy?  That’s inspiring.

For me.

So, go.  If you don’t already have something you’re passionate about…go find something.  And while you’re at it,  find somebody in your life that is sock-worthy.

Or better yet, be sock-worthy to somebody.

(Katie is sock-worthy to me if I could make socks.)

(I guess in a sense, to me…she’s tiara-worthy.  Or moonpie-worthy.  Or wine-worthy.)

(Not that I make any of those things, but they’re fun to have!)

(Actually…all of y’all who continuously encourage me to continue with my passion of this writing stuff and liking-me-for-the-real-me-here-on-this-blog-thing are sock-worthy to me.)

Cause being sock-worthy is where it’s at.

Surround yourself with sock-worthy people.

Around them, you will totally feel joy in a world that is nuttier than a squirrel turd.

PS.  I swear to God I think I feel a nose hair.  A nose hair.  Are you kidding me?

Just kill me now.

katie metzroth May 2, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I do NOT knit on the toilet…..but I am still trying to figure out how to knit while tubing the Guadalupe.
katie metzroth recently posted..100 Socks – a life projectMy Profile

Carrie May 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Only in Texas would a girl try to knit while in a big innertube while floating down a river.

Or on a toilet.

Hanna Elizabeth May 2, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Katie, your socks rock and I’m sort of an ‘unofficial’ sock enthusiast so that’s saying something. Ever make Japanese-style toe socks? They’re my latest sock-craze(y). lol!

Anyway, this is a brilliant idea! Good luck on your endeavor!

Carrie May 2, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I’d be willing to bet she can do all kinds of styles. I can’t keep track of her at lunch.

Sometimes she’s using one needle then all of a sudden I look up and there’s about 14 flying needles around the other side of the booth.

Hanna Elizabeth May 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm

“14 flying needles”… Sounds like she’s using those elves that were known for making shoes in those stories from when we were little.

Loved this blog post, btw. It, in itself, was very sock-worthy. I’m such a nitwit for having failed to mention this sooner. I just got so gosh-darned excited about the sock thing. Yes. I have an issue. I’m working on it (by buying new socks).

What? I didn’t say anything. (wiggles toes in my new socks)

katie metzroth May 10, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I have yet to make any Japanese toe socks, but I will at some point make toe socks (with a place for each toe).
katie metzroth recently posted..I knit therefore I am….more humble.My Profile

Breane May 2, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Dude, I love socks. I think I need to make some more friends. 🙂 Or learn how to knit. I tried once and failed miserably.

Katie – Good luck on the sock project – sounds fun!
Breane recently posted..Happy Birthday to ME! 🙂My Profile

Carrie May 2, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Let me tell you, Katie is good. She does all that fancy footwork (ha!) with that yarn and makes it look easy.

And by easy, I mean ‘easiest enough for me but yet we all know I’d end up with the stuff wrapped around my neck and jammed down my throat.’

Lisa Hewitt May 2, 2013 at 4:14 pm

You are, indeed, sock worthy. I cannot knit. I would be jealous but, you are sock worthy. I just had a typo on sock (bawahahha-just guess). I am just going to have to share this – I do have a duct tape dress form of myself – hubs helped. It’s fairly awesome, but no feet.

Carrie May 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I’m telling you, Katie is a knit-aholic. Crazy good.

BUT. A duct tape dress?? THAT, my dear…is well, duct-worthy.

(HHAHAH!! I’m corny. I know.)

Maggie S. May 3, 2013 at 4:37 am

*eyeroll* A three year-old once asked me if I had spiders living in my nose. 10 years-ago. So, yeah, shut up because it matches the beard that is coming in so nicely.

I have a little foot thing, too. Can I get a photo of your feet?

Seriously, you are inspirational. Not many people are as loving or having as good a time as you are. This is why I love you.
Maggie S. recently posted..Process or Pouty PrincessMy Profile

Carrie May 3, 2013 at 7:39 am

Nice. I was just placing my order at the Starbuck’s speaker this morning when I read on my phone about your spiders and beard. I barked out a “OH MY GOD! HAHAHA!” and the Starbuck’s dude was all, “Well, somebody is having a good morning!”

Your sweet words mean a lot to me…thank you. And don’t think for one minute you’re lacking in the love area. You are a joy to me and one day I hope to get to meet you and hug your neck! Love you even more!

Poppy May 3, 2013 at 8:02 am

No, lipstick isn’t cheap. And either are socks. (I can’t decide if I’m cheap or they’re just not sock worthy.)
Poppy recently posted..Awesome Hummus Without TahiniMy Profile

Carrie May 3, 2013 at 10:48 am

Oh, you’re sock-worthy. Totally.

Ab-so-lute-ly.

Elaine A. May 4, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Love your cute toenails – ha! And you are completely sock worthy! But of course now it will be a while until you need them in Texas! 😉

Carrie May 5, 2013 at 7:49 am

Ain’t that the truth! Just had a nice little cool front and no doubt it’ll be 112* in a week or so!

Barbara May 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Inspiring someone enough to knit is a big thing. I tried to knit once and stabbed myself in the hand. Never again.
Barbara recently posted..The End Of Pre-SchoolMy Profile

Carrie May 6, 2013 at 11:18 am

I’m not sure I’d be safe to be around with those needle things flying around either. Of course, she makes it look like a piece of cake, though.

Carrie May 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm

And I will at some point steal them.