And to think I thought the Beach Boys would really give a rats ass about my bangs.

July 19, 2013 in Me and My Public Self

It was a dark and stormy night.

The rain was pounding.

The clouds were churning and the thunder was growling.

The skies were angry. Angry, I tell you.

Angry like a redhead who was at war with nature.

Why? I’ll tell you, my friend:

BECAUSE WE’VE HAD NO RAIN FOR MONTHS AND THIS OUT-OF-ITS-MIND-STUPID-ASS RAIN IS MAKING HER HAIR GUMMY AND HER BANGS ARE NOW REALLY CURLY AND BY GOD, SHE HAS A DATE TO SEE THE BEACH BOYS AND SHE AIN’T MISSING IT BUT SHE AIN’T GOING WITH GUMMY HAIR AND CURLY BANGS.

There.

Fear not. I left the office early.

(Yes. There might be a mortgage that needs to be paid and there might be mouths that need to be fed, but again…SHE HAS A DATE TO SEE THE BEACH BOYS.)

(Priorities, my friends. Priorities.)

I got home, flew through the door and straight to the bathroom. Shower started, butt scrubbed, hair shampooed, dryed off, new face put on, new hair poofed up, fresh coat of lipgloss and all done in 57 minutes flat.

I put on my fancy duds and off we go.

My dear, sweet, accommodating husband who had been up since 4:00 that morning and put in a 10-hour workday with a gun on his hip then came home and got all scrubbed up before me was shined up, ready to go with a smile and new haircut, opening the door for me just as I come running back down the hallway screaming, “HURRY UP! WE GOTTA GO CAUSE IF THIS RAIN STARTS BACK UP MY HAIR WILL GET GUMMY AND I AIN’T RUNNING IN THE RAIN IN THESE HEELS AND OH MY GOD MY UMBRELLA DOESN’T MATCH AND THE BEACH BOYS CAN’T SEE ME LIKE THIS AND HURRY UP, HONEY!”

(Arms and legs flailing like a complete fool.)

(As if I had to actually tell you that.)

Off we go.

We get there. No rain. No gummy hair. No curly bangs. No rush.

Now, I do know The Beach Boys are a bit before my time. But I’ve said for years, my momma had me way too late.

I blame her.

After a few glasses of wine and some really swanky h’ordeurves (did I spell that right?), the stage lights up.

And, oh my God.

I see surf boards. And lots of beachy-ish stuff.

I gotta get closer to the stage. And closer. And well, just a little bit closer.

(Cause you know the first row of tables apparently isn’t close enough.)

(What if they need a background Beach Girl? How the hell are they gonna find me out there sitting at a table?? That’s what I thought, too.)

Me Beach Boys

(Yep. THAT close. I know. I’m on the stage. I KNOW!)

I sang and danced and danced and danced and sang and poor Keith wished he had taken on a second 10-hour shift that day.

(Well, maybe not then, but I’m sure he did when I took my shoes off outside to walk back to the car. I couldn’t help it. My feet were threatening to vacate my property.)

(Well, and possibly when I slung my bra around. It was a good bra though so it wasn’t going on stage. No way.)

(I just lied about the bra stuff. Forgive me. But it sounded good and for a moment you know you thought, “I now have a hero without a bra.”)

Yes, The Beach Boys may be a little older. But, so am I.

And they might not move as quick as they did way back in their heyday. But, neither do I.

But the older we get, the better we get. All of us.

Even me.

So, yes. What started out as a dark and stormy night…ended up one of the brightest, shiniest nights I’ve had in ages.

{ 20 comments }

Jennifer July 19, 2013 at 3:49 pm

So when was your momma supposed to have had you. When she was five?
Jennifer recently posted..3 Lessons Moving Taught MeMy Profile

Carrie July 19, 2013 at 7:50 pm

THAT is pretty much the same response I get from her.

Hollie July 19, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I love it as usual …. And you! :)

Carrie July 20, 2013 at 8:50 am

Thanks! I love The Beach Boys…And you! =)

Melinda Stanton (Auntie Em) July 19, 2013 at 9:44 pm

And your bangs look FAB!
Melinda Stanton (Auntie Em) recently posted..FearlessMy Profile

Carrie July 20, 2013 at 8:52 am

After they hit the stage, I never thought of my bangs again! Funny how that happens!

Connie July 20, 2013 at 11:55 am

I was born too late too. I want to wear poodle skirts!

I love the Beach Boys….didn’t know they were still touring.
Connie recently posted..Nine YearsMy Profile

Carrie July 22, 2013 at 10:21 am

And I’d wear poodle skirts with you! I’m glad I’m not alone!

This was a corporate gig thing…fun, fun, fun! They were amazingly great!

Lisa Hewitt July 21, 2013 at 9:31 am

I cannot believe your umbrella didn’t match. And please tell me you also love Elvis. You do, right? Fabulous bangs btw.

Carrie July 22, 2013 at 10:22 am

You KNOW I love me some Elvis. And Janis. And Jimi. And The Beatles.

And I could probably go on and on and on.

It’s raining and my bangs look like garbage and I’m knotted up about a matching umbrella. What a douche.

Amanda July 21, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I had the image in my head of you walking barefoot with your shoes hanging off one hand and your bra in the other and your honey shaking his head and wondering what he had gotten himself into! Hahahaha!!!! But still, I’m glad your bra stayed on in public! I’m glad you had a good time!
Amanda recently posted..Demon Child, You Can’t Say That to Me While I’m Driving!My Profile

Carrie July 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

Oh, Lord!! HAHA!!

It doesn’t take THAT much for Keith to shake his head and wonder ‘what the hell?’ Most of the time, all I gotta do is wake up to get THAT reaction from him!

It was a great time…much more fun than I would have ever expected!

Barbara July 22, 2013 at 9:39 am

How fun! I saw them at a baseball game when I was a teenager. I am Barbara Ann after all….
Barbara recently posted..You Might Want To Subscribe To This BlogMy Profile

Carrie July 22, 2013 at 10:24 am

Why, yes you ARE!! I would have never believed they were as good as they were. Even Keith (who isn’t in love with that era of music like I am) went on and on about how good they were and what a great time it was.

katie metzroth July 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm

AND I spent more time in traffic that day than I have since that one time it flooded and I sat on a Metro bus for 4 hours.
This time, I got so tired of sitting on the freeway that I ended up driving home via back roads. I can tell you, by the time I got home, I wanted to kiss the floor of my house.
katie metzroth recently posted..Knitting and engineering statistics.My Profile

Carrie July 22, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I had that very same feeling.

Until the rain stopped. Then I was afraid it was a big ol’fake out and Mother Nature was trying to get one over on me.

Is Everyone an Idiot but Me? July 22, 2013 at 2:15 pm

It looks like you had a fun night! I too wish I had been born early enough to fully enjoy the Beach Boys in their prime!

Carrie July 22, 2013 at 3:30 pm

It WAS fun! I just love the music from that time…it’s fun and clean. Just a ‘tad’ different from todays music, huh? =)

Jef July 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm

For some reason, it only seems appropriate you would be a Beach Boys fan.

By the way, will there be a butt-scrub video soon? I don’t think I’ve heard of that maneuver before. ;)
Jef recently posted..The Story Behind “Boy” by Book of LoveMy Profile

Carrie July 29, 2013 at 8:11 am

Well…I HAAAAVE been low on some material.

Butt-scub just might make the list.