Motherhood and Batwings. A winning combination.

July 5, 2013 in Hit or Miss...kinda like my dating life.

“Listen.  You’ve got a figure I’d kill a man and a small cat for.  If I was anywhere close to your size, I’d spend the majority of my time walking around naked, slapping on lipgloss and heels,  and the other part of my time would be in jail.  Because I was walking around naked.  Slapping on lipgloss and heels.”

That 15 year old girl of mine has crossed the line into womanhood.

(That was me to her after she came out of the fitting room holding the cutest bathing suit ever.)

(That she then jumbled back on to the hanger and slung back at the rack.)

“I hate my thighs.  They’re huge.”  (Do they have hail damage on the back?  Then shut up.)

“I swear one boob is bigger than the other one!”  (Do you have to hoist them up just to get them above sea level?  Then shut up.)

“I’m NOT buying that size in jeans…no way.  I just won’t get any.”  (Are you double-digiting it?  Then shut up.)

After all of that, I just raised my right arm up a bit, blankly looked at her and shook my flappy batwing at her.

(This ain’t nothing a lot of you moms haven’t already blown through.  It’s just new to me.  And my patience.)

(Humor me, here.)

I have definitely been plopped right into the middle of motherhood.  It’s like I was thrown behind the wheel of a car for the first time with no practice drive in an empty high school parking lot.

Motherhood.  Challenge accepted.

Sans the episiotomy.  Sans the contractions.  Sans the baby shower.

However, I still got the stretch marks on my ass.

And on my hips.  And my boobs ain’t seen “perky” since 1987.

(I might not have had to buy diapers…but I buy maxi-pads.  I might not have had to hear crying at 1:30 in the morning…but I hear a TV still on at 1:30 in the morning.)

Now I have to, not only preach to me, I have to preach to her.

“Life ain’t Hollywood, Tutz.  Real women have curves.”

“Those boobs you are trying to hide now are the boobs your flat-chested girlfriends will be stripping to pay for later.”

“If you got it, flaunt it.”

(Her daddy ain’t always loving my words of life.  I get a few eye rolls now and then.)

(But hey…he don’t whine about his hips and how shark week hits right before a beach weekend either.)

Barbie

Yep.  If Barbie was a real woman.

No wonder girls get all freakish about size and shit.

(And I’m walking around Target flapping my batwings.)

(I must admit, I do have fun with these things.)

It has taken me 44 years…but I’m finally good with me.

(Though I still try to come up with a way to get rid of my batwings while choking down chips and salsa and brownie batter straight from the bowl and moonpies.  And I contemplate this as I shake them at me in the bathroom mirror.)

But I’m good with me.  Now.  My thighs have finally taken a backseat to my health and outlook.

It took me this long to find the confidence to say that.

I’m good with me.

And I know in time, she’ll find that confidence, too.  When she tosses her thighs in the backseat.

(I do wish I could have chosen the cheeks those dimples decided to call home, but hey…dimples are dimples, right?)

{ 11 comments }

katie metzroth July 5, 2013 at 3:49 pm

There is a lot to be said for being a smart funny reasonably attractive woman. When you get old, you’ll still be smart and funny and probably reasonably attractive (if you wear sunblock). It’s a lot less of a shock and a hell of a lot more fun. Write that down.
katie metzroth recently posted..Zombies, Socks, and BonitaMy Profile

Carrie July 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Sunblock rules.
Carrie recently posted..Motherhood and Batwings. A winning combination. My Profile

Barbara July 5, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Good for you. Maybe you can save her a whole lotta years of angst. Batwings used to bother me. Now I realize it’s God’s way of letting me wave goodbye more enthusiastically. :)
Barbara recently posted..You Might Want To Subscribe To This BlogMy Profile

Carrie July 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Barbi…I LOVE THAT!

Waving goodbye more enthusiastically. You put a perfect spin on it!!

Amanda July 6, 2013 at 9:12 am

Oh, those days past where stomachs were semi-flat and thighs were dimpleless and boobs stayed up near the chin, completely defying gravity… It’s kind of hard not to wish you had walked around in your birthday suit with high heels and lip gloss! I can’t even do the high heels anymore! At least not for more than about 7 minutes. It’s a damn shame too!

You sure did get thrown right into motherhood, but it looks like you got thrown in at the perfect time for you and her.
Amanda recently posted..He Took My CameraMy Profile

Carrie July 6, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Yeah….timing is everything, huh? You’re right about that.

And believe me…I’d LIVE naked if I was as fat now as I thought I was then. =)

Jennifer July 8, 2013 at 4:23 pm

This is that one piece of wisdom that I wish I could just force into their heads without them having to learn it on their own. This and that that boy really doesn’t love you.
Jennifer recently posted..About WritingMy Profile

Carrie July 10, 2013 at 8:05 am

I know. Until having a teenaged girl around 83 hours a day, I never noticed how much society places on a woman’s appearance to be accepted.

It’s an odd lesson for me to be learning.

Jennifer July 10, 2013 at 8:07 am

When you have a daughter it is like a sudden slap in the face.
Jennifer recently posted..Netflix Families Makes Movie Night EasierMy Profile

A Morning Grouch July 16, 2013 at 6:27 pm

So one of my friends pointed me in the direction of amightygirl.com today. Amazing resource for books for girls of all ages – to help them become more confifdent etc… (I think she was telling me i didn’t need to try to write any more and I could find them there – hah). One of the things I was reading as I was browsing their fb page was about how moms had to be okay with themselves, in order to teach daughters to be okay with themselves. Makes sense – and sounds like you’re doing it. Rock on.

Carrie July 16, 2013 at 7:55 pm

DO NOT STOP WRITING. I REPEAT…DO NOT.

OK, now that THAT is out of the way. I think you’re absolutely right. We gotta feel good about us for them to feel good about them. I can think of a couple of girlfriends of mine now who’s daughters struggle with feeling confident and I can see exactly where they get it.

You got it going on. =)