September 26, 2013 in Me and My Public Self

So. Let me think.

Hmmm.

What to do, what to do?

Let’s see.

If your Mom is turning 65 and your Dad decides he wants to throw her a party…just what kind of party should he throw?

Hmmm…

Let me start with this little bit of info:  It is rather conservative to say that my husband is rather conservative.

Take this for example:

(Stay with me here.  It all comes together.)

He’s the law.

I live on the edge. Sometimes the very edge.

He ain’t a lover of tattoos.

I have five.

He drives a 4×4 truck.

I drove a Harley.

He prefers neutrals and earth tones.

I can’t drench myself in enough sparkly shit, hot pink and zebra-stripes.

But we mesh.

(Remember that TV show, Dharma & Greg? Yeah…kinda. In a way.)

So, when Dad said a 60’s themed hippie birthday party for Mom with over 100 of her closest hippie-ish friends…I said:

HELL TO THE YEAH! TOTALLY RAD, DADDY-O!

(Only thing?  I just couldn’t imagine my little traditional family of three becoming a little bohemian family of beatniks.)

(Them two, anyway.)

(I just love wearing that wig.)

(Or any wig, really.)

I knew I was going to have to sell my rather conservative husband on the idea of doing a costume.  Especially from that era.

This was going to be a hard sell, too.  Dude ain’t easy to sway.

Remember what I said earlier?  That ‘living on the edge’ crap?  I got right out on the VERY edge with this.

Me:  “Hey.  Would you just consider going in costume to Mom’s party?  Just think about it.  We could be cool for one night of our married life.  We could be hip.  Happening.  Jukin’ and jivin’.”

(Go big or go home, I said.)

(I don’t shoot to miss, I said.)

What my ears heard next would have made me think I was on some groovy acid trip from days gone by if I ever did such a thing which I did not but if I did…boy oh boy…this was a rockin’ good trip.

Groovy Keith:  “Let’s do it. Let’s do it up big. Get me a costume and let’s go all out.”

Hallucinating Me:  “No way!!  Don’t be teasing me. You won’t do it. Don’t be husslin’ me, man.”

Groovier Keith:  “Let’s do it.”

So. If your Mom is turning 65 and your Dad decides he wants to throw her a 60’s themed hippie party…here’s what you do.

You go all out. Because family is where it’s at. And life is too short. And if you feel really old in the morning, it’s because you were really young last night.

And that’s some far out stuff, man. A party with the fam is a happenin’ thing.

Don’t be a drag.

Dig it.

Happy birthday, Mom.

Cool party, Daddy-O.

Mom Dad

The Fuzz.  The PoPo.  The Man.

Keith

Us.  The Fam.  My heart.  My soul.

A little bohemian family of beatniks.

Groovy.

Us

If you ever think “This is ridiculous…I can’t do this!”

That’s your sign to DO IT.

Be fun.  Be silly.  Be laughy.  Be ridiculous.  Be corny.  Be embarrassed.  Be brave.  Be free.

Cause freedom is just another word for…nothing left to lose.

And love.

And peace.

(And wigs.)

Lisa Hewitt September 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I have that boa – I need that wig. All that Bobbie left me was some pink zebra strip sparkly shit! Happy Birthday Carrie’s Mama! (Dude seriously loves you).

Carrie September 26, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I’m telling you…that wig has had some miles put on it! When I bought it, I figured I might wear it once.

It’s been on my pointy head no less than 6 times now! Costume contests, of course.

And yes. Should I ever in my lifetime doubt Dude’s love…I’ll just look at these pictures.

Pure love fo’sho.

Barbara September 26, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Not enough words to describe how awesome those costumes turned out!

SOLID!!!
Barbara recently posted..Diet Is Not A Four Letter WordMy Profile

Carrie September 27, 2013 at 8:26 am

Girl, we had such a great time! Everyone laughed and pointed and well, sometimes it’s just fun to be silly.

Adelyn September 26, 2013 at 6:35 pm

This is the best ever! We get our spouses to do crazy things. That is how we know we fit. You two clearly fit. Awesomeness.
Adelyn recently posted..BetterMy Profile

Carrie September 27, 2013 at 8:28 am

Sister, you are so right. The one question I can mark off my list of ever asking Keith is: Do you love me?

Cause if he don’t after THAT get-up…I’m not sure I could handle it if he did!

Lisa September 27, 2013 at 8:27 am

Love it! Totally FAR OUT MAN!

Carrie September 27, 2013 at 10:50 am

It was really a great time!

katie metzroth September 27, 2013 at 10:16 am

Well, now you know you can pull off blonde if you ever have to go into witness protection with all your “on the edge” activities.
katie metzroth recently posted..In which I knit whilst tubing.My Profile

Carrie September 27, 2013 at 10:50 am

Now THAT is a different spin on things! And I do think I like that!

Lord knows what kind of trouble I can stir up now!
Carrie recently posted..All that was old was young again. For one night. Except the wig. It’s still old.My Profile

Connie Weiss September 28, 2013 at 7:36 am

I love it! So glad that your Keith wanted to play along! Looks like a lot of fun.

Jennifer September 30, 2013 at 2:47 pm

That shirt is out o’ sight!
Jennifer recently posted..Another Mother’s ShoesMy Profile

Becca October 7, 2013 at 6:35 pm

How fun! I tend to be serious like your husband but sometimes you just have to let loose. It actually feels pretty fun. It looks like a great party :)
Becca recently posted..MIKE AND IKE® Halloween Varieties – ReviewMy Profile