With or without panties, we were going to see Chicago.

November 25, 2013 in Hit or Miss...kinda like my dating life.

1.  I got a massage.

2.  I purchased myself a nice little jug of Irish Creme.

C.  I proceeded to knock back a couple of mugs of chocolate fudge flavored gourmet coffee that contained shots of said Irish Creme.

4.  I panicked and crapped.

My Saturday.  November 23, 2013.

Start off with some good ol’fashioned groping and end it with a bang.  That’s me.

I was unexplainably excited because I had nothing to do Saturday.  Nothing.  It was a day for me.  Keith was working and Cayla would sleep until she got hungry or had to poop.  The day was mine.

A day to do a whole buttload of nothing with.

The best part was…I couldn’t wash clothes.  The washing machine just flipped me off the night before and Keith wasn’t going to fight with it again.  That washer and I aren’t lovers of each other and I won out.

In other words, Momma was getting a new washing machine.

Keith gets home from work around 4:30.  Showers, changes clothes, and off to the local Home Depot-ish place we go.

My entire day changed on that 3.4 mile drive.  In the blink of an eye…my whole world kinda got real crumbly-ish.

5:24 p.m – Saturday, November 23, 2013

This is pretty much verbatim:

(Kinda.  Some parts anyway.)

Keith:  Hey…I got a reminder on my phone calendar about us going to see that musical, Chicago, tonight.  Is that really tonight?

Me:  Hell to the no.  I got an email from the performance hall thanking me for my purchase of the tickets and how they “looked forward to seeing me at the hall tonight.”  Puh-leeze.  They need to get their shit rolling in the right direction.  The musical isn’t until NEXT Saturday night, November 23rd…the weekend after Thanksgiving.  I told you that when I got the tickets 4 months ago.

Keith:  I know.  I thought that was odd.  Why’d you set it up on my phone calendar for tonight then?

Me:  Probably so you’d have this exact conversation with me so I’d remember it was next weekend.  That reminder was actually a reminder for you to remind me about it being next Saturday.  I’m smart like that.  I know you think I’m a buffoon at times….but I’m smarter than you think.

Keith:  I don’t think you’re a buffoon.

Me:  Sure you do.  And I don’t care.  And I’m not getting one of those fancy-ass washers either.  All I want is a water temperature setting changer, a load size changer, and that’s it.  I don’t need it to do anything else.  Unless we find one that mops, vacuums and scratches my back at night, I don’t need fancy crap.

Keith:  That’s cool.  Whatever you want is good with me.

5:32 pm – Saturday, November 23, 2013

Me:  Park there.  It’s close.  And hang on…I need to get my…what the hell is this?  OH.  MY.  GOD.  OH.  MY.  GOD.  OH.  MY.  GOD.

Keith:  What??  What is it.

Me:  IT’S THE TICKETS FOR THE SHOW TONIGHT THE FRIGGIN SHOW IS TONIGHT THAT REMINDER ON YOUR PHONE WAS TO REMIND US THE SHOW IS TONIGHT AND THE EMAIL FROM THE PERFORMANCE HALL WAS TO REMIND ME THE SHOW IS TONIGHT AND I’M SUCH A DAMN BUFFOON AND MY HAIR…OH MY GOD…MY HAIR!   THE SHOW STARTS IN 2 HOURS!  I PAID MORE THAN MY CAR NOTE FOR THESE TICKETS AND LOOK MY HAIR OH MY GOD MY HAIR AND WE CAN’T MISS IT!

Keith:  Are you kidding me??  This ain’t funny…don’t start your fake-out crap with me now…are you being serious??

Me:  LOOK AT ME DO I LOOK LIKE I’M IN FAKE-OUT CRAP MODE??  LOOK AT MY HAIR I ONLY HAVE 2 HOURS TO LOOK LIKE I HAVE SOME CLASS AND I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT I’M GOING TO WEAR.  I DON’T EVEN KNOW IF I HAVE PANTIES BECAUSE I COULDN’T WASH TODAY!

Keith:  I thought you said it was the weekend after Thanksgiving??  You told me it was Saturday, November 23rd.

Me:  TODAY IS SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 23RD!!

Keith:  Just come on, let’s get this damn machine bought.  We’ll make it…just stop farting with your hair and get out of the truck!!

5:47 pm – Saturday, November 23, 2013

For the 3rd time, I have raised my left arm to forehead level and aggressively tapped the top of my left wrist with my right pointer finger (as if I’m wearing some sort of time-telling mechanism) for Keith to get a friggin move on and get the machine bought.  While arching my eyebrows as high as my forehead skin will allow while jutting my eyes out.

The Home Depot-ish people look at me as if I should be on a leash.  But I don’t give one rats ass.  Not one.

Keith just squints and shakes his head at his buffoon-ified wife.

Eventually, the washer gets loaded in the truck and we’re headed back home.

6:13 pm - Saturday, November 23, 2013

We pull in the driveway and I’m opening my door before the truck even slows up.

Keith:  You just go get ready and I’ll have the machine hooked up in a few minutes.  All I have to do is change and we can go.  I’ve already showered.

Me:  I just hope I have panties.  What am I gonna do if I don’t have panties??

Keith:  Baby…just go get ready, please.

I run into the house.

Run.

I don’t even run when I say I’m going running for exercise.  But now, I run.

I barked something out at Cayla as I almost knocked her over in the hallway about how she has to find something to eat on her own because her daddy and I have tickets to a play I forgot about and I think there’s some leftover stew in the fridge but I don’t know if I have any panties and my hair looks like crap and to just eat whatever she wants even if it’s Oreos.

I fluff out the massaged-up-crappy hair, freshen up the face, slap on some lipstick, hit the pits with deodorant, and scream “THANK YOU, JESUS!” as I find I have panties waiting on me in my drawer.

Me:  HURRY UP…WE’RE GOING TO BE LATE AND I DO HAVE PANTIES!

He changes, looks hot, and we get in the car.

(Momma texted on the way.)

Chicago Text

(Nothing…date.)

(Could I possibly be a bigger, lifeless douche than this??)

(Damn.  Somebody run to Walmart and get me a personality.)

7:02 pm - Saturday, November 23, 2013

Keith:  I’m starving.  I gotta get something to eat.

Me:  Go through McDonalds.  I’m not going into the performance hall after the lights are down and tripping down the stairs.  Our seats are on like row 6.  I’ll look like a buffoon in front of YOU…but not in front of total strangers.  No way.

We arrive in plenty of time, take our seats and the show starts.

It was as perfect as I imagined it would be.

Now, let me give a small amount of back story.

Keith is a perfected dater.  Any date he plans is perfection.  Beautiful restaurant.  Exquisite wine.  Romantic atmosphere.  Heavenly meal.  I usually get all sappy afterwards because I have never imagined being treated to such greatness.

It is always perfectly choreographed and sometimes with flowers waiting me for at our table when we arrive.  He opens my door, pulls out my chair and makes me feel as if I’m the only woman he’s ever laid eyes on.  He’s a perfect gentleman.

I begged him to let ME plan our next date.  I wanted to treat him as perfectly perfect on a date as he treats me on a date.  I wanted to show him how nice it is to be catered to and doted upon.

THIS was our next date.

(Read that last line again.)

(I KNOW!)

Just in case you didn’t read that last line again:  THIS WAS OUR NEXT DATE.

And what did I do?

I forgot about it.  I fed him McDonalds.  I rushed him.  I screamed about panties.  I sounded like a lifeless douche over text about the date to my mom.  I didn’t even buy him a  glass of wine.

But as usual, he was a perfect gentleman.  He took over the date and made this loused up beginning a perfect ending.

He thanked me for one of the best nights of his life on our drive home.

I told him I’d make it up to him and I want a do-over for our next date.

He politely declined.

Keith:  This was great, but from now on…let’s just leave the date planning to me, ok?

He patted me on my knee.

That’s fine.

But I will always be better at mopping the floor, cutting tomatoes and making up the bed.

Always.

And don’t you think for one minute, I’ll let him forget that, either.

{ 20 comments }

Barbara November 25, 2013 at 1:26 pm

hahahahahahahaha! That is too funny. Blame Thanksgiving, it’s late this year. Totally the holiday’s fault!
Barbara recently posted..Shazzy Fitness – Christian Dance WorkoutsMy Profile

Carrie November 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Oh, you know me…I’m blaming something, that’s for sure!

I totally jacked this one up though. And I was SO excited for it and couldn’t wait.

Then forgot.

What a gem, I am.

Lisa Hewitt November 25, 2013 at 2:38 pm

That is pathetic. Perhaps you should have just donned a bandana. I would not date you. And – why is Thanksgiving so late? I bought a chicken.

Carrie November 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Well, after Saturday night…MY OWN HUSBAND WON’T DATE ME.

And honestly, I can’t blame him.

I need to find a bandana to just keep in my purse to be ready at a moments notice.

I don’t know why Thanksgiving is so late. I bought wine.

Peggy Scarborough November 25, 2013 at 6:44 pm

You didn’t call!

Carrie November 25, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Now you see why! I was traumatized for being such a loser date!

Amber November 25, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Haha!!

And by the way, your title is going to bring all sorts of odd searches to your blog. I put panties in my blog title once and got all sorts of odd searches (some where “cleaning with panties” and “dancing with panties.”)
Amber recently posted..The Kmart Commercial Is HilariousMy Profile

Carrie November 25, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Oh, girl…I can only imagine. I thought about that but then, as with most everything else, though…”it is what it is.”

=-)

Jennifer November 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm

This sound exactly like something I would do. Exactly.

I saw Chicago on New York last year and it was amazing. I hope you liked the show once you go there.
Jennifer recently posted..What’s The Worst That Could HappenMy Profile

Carrie November 25, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Two words: LOVED. IT.

I had no clue there were bodies floating around with absolutely zero body fat on them. And the dancing…hell, I could go on and on.

Adelyn November 27, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I LOVED this. The title alone has had me snorting. me. Snorting. And I have been crying for 3 days…so to now be laughing is awesome. You are awesome. With or without panties. Wait…that sounded creepy…I just love the title of your blog post.
Adelyn recently posted..WorriedMy Profile

Carrie November 27, 2013 at 5:09 pm

THAT is everything I love to hear! The creepier the better because then I don’t feel like the only creepy one because I say creepy crap ALL the time.

Love! =)

Regina November 28, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Having seen Chicago, I thought this was going to be about a cast member forgetting their panties….not your need to have clean ones.

I hope your next date isn’t as stressful. Been married 10 years, dates are far between and usually include kids and the kids fighting and someone being grounded.
Regina recently posted..Make a list, check the coupon and ad matching policy twice before you shopMy Profile

Carrie November 28, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Girl, God help my eyes if one of the cast members forgot their panties! Some where wearing not much more than just panties.

However, if my bod was as good as THOSE bods…I wouldn’t wear much more either.

Regina November 30, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Took the hubby to see this show many years ago, front row seats. The dances came out before the show on stage to ‘stretch’. One bent over looked at my hubby and slapped her butt.

Many years later, he asks me if Chicago is playing again. Uh no, he’s not welcome anymore.

And yeah, it’s a dance in your undies kinda play for sure. ;)
Regina recently posted..Recipe: Slow Cooker Turkey Breast with StuffingMy Profile

Bobbi December 2, 2013 at 11:30 am

sounds like something I would do, except I wouldn’t be lucky enough to have clean panties.
Bobbi recently posted..Pappaw Comes to TownMy Profile

Carrie December 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I was worried. No washing for a full day…then a big event pop up on me. It was sheer luck!!

Connie Weiss December 4, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Oh my gosh. You are lucky you made it!

Did you have a Big Mac?
Connie Weiss recently posted..Turkey CookiesMy Profile

Carrie December 5, 2013 at 8:36 am

Uh, no.

Wine. When we finally made it. My nerves were ridiculous.

A Morning Grouch December 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm

my favorite part: I forgot about it. I fed him McDonalds. I rushed him. I screamed about panties. lol!! hilarious.
A Morning Grouch recently posted..The SecretMy Profile