December 10, 2013 in Me and My Public Self

Once upon a time…long, long ago…my husband uttered the words:

(More like about 8 months ago when he said “I do” to such ridiculous insanity with me.)

“Let’s promise each other we’ll always have a fun marriage.  And we’ll laugh.  A lot.”

Well, alrighty then.  Challenge accepted.

I have said for years, I don’t really like to half-ass anything.  If you’re gonna do something, do it up right.  Do it all the way.  Do it to the max.

Go big or go home.

Run faster than the big dog or get back under the porch.

Shit big or get off the pot.

The game ain’t over until I’ve won.

I’m not beyond cheating to win.

(I don’t think he was aware of all that drivel when he suggested that promise.)

(Sucker.)

I continuously do my best to make him wonder why he made such a suggestion.  Not because I want to make him more miserable than he already is…but because, well, I just usually go overboard with everything else so why not this?

(And plus, a little competition never hurts anyone.  Even in a marriage.  Or more like OUR marriage.)

This last weekend was not exempt to my asinine jackassery.

I suggested we attend Dickens on the Strand.  It’s held yearly in Galveston, Texas.  Kinda close to where I grew up and I thought it’d be cool to take him back to the area I kinda grew up around.

(Don’t be asking me what it’s all about.  Charles Dickens stuff.  I’m no literature scholar.  I can barely get myself to work every day…you know me better than to expect any history or intelligent sounding stuff here.)

He was absolutely, without a doubt…in the game.

However, surely he didn’t think we’d just simply “attend” it, did he??

I mean, did he think we’d just purchase tickets and show up?

Surely he jests?

While watching a little TV one night, I quietly suggested we consider going in costume.  I figured he’d be so up into NCIS or Blue Bloods or whatever non-violent-but-it-thinks-its-violent-TV-show he was watching, he’d agree while not knowing what it was he was agreeing to.

Wrong.

He looked over at me, smiled and said, “Challenge accepted.”

Game was on.

Costume ideas were Googled.  And yes, this, too can go overboard.

We hit up the local, way cool, way eclectic, way out-of-the-ordinary costume shop and all but put’em out of business for the weekend.

We get to Galveston and Saturday morning comes.  Time to cinch me up.

And I do mean cinch.

The tighter he pulled those strings to shrink my waist, the more the boobs bubbled up.  They had nowhere to go but up.  I could barely breathe, but who cares about breathing when the competition is on??

He suited up, tossed on his top hat and away we went.

And here we are.  With my boobs.  And his hat.  Not sure which is bigger.

BUT WOULD YOU LOOK AT MY AWESOME HAT?!?

C and K

And then here we are with some people we met from Tennessee.  One of the 837 things Keith and I have in common is…we never meet a stranger.  Apparently.With Friends

Keith and the Tardis.  Or Police Box.  Or big, blue thing.  I’m not really into Dr. Who so I don’t know.Tardis

And then looky here!Duck Dynasty

One thing I will admit to learning this weekend:  I do believe I have met my match.

He never swayed and agreed to it all.  I couldn’t throw him off his game.  He hung in there with me like a champ.  A big, top-hatted champ, but a champ nevertheless.

I’m learning that life is what you make it.

You can sit on your ass and let everyone else determine what is fun for you or good for you or worth your time.

Or you can get up and go do it.

Who cares if you look ridiculous?  Who gives a rats ass if people stare or laugh at you?

Always remember:

Go big or go home.

Run faster than the big dog or get back under the porch.

Shit big or get off the pot.

The game ain’t over until you’ve won.

Live life with ridiculous insanity.  You deserve it.

{ 26 comments }

Barbara December 10, 2013 at 11:40 am

LOVE IT! Looks like so much fun.
Barbara recently posted..OSU vs. OU Bedlam 2013My Profile

Carrie December 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm

We had a fabulous time. Loved dressing up…for about the first 4 hours. Then I was all, “HOW DID WOMEN WEAR THIS CRAP ALL DAY??”
Carrie recently posted..Living with ridiculous insanity has led to running faster than the big dog and getting off the pot.My Profile

Lisa Hewitt December 10, 2013 at 1:38 pm

That is one hellacious bonnet you have “donned” up on that red head, but the bosom is the thing. Trollop. I intend to take that last little piece of advise. You deserve it too and I am so glad you are getting a big ole dose of it. muah! (it kinda looks like you touching Phil, well I just hope Miss Kay doesn’t see it).

Carrie December 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm

OK. Listen up. Not kidding at all here.

When I was writing this, I swear to you I almost put I donned the big, purple hat and then note in parenthesis that I used the word “donned” for one of my most favorite people ever, Lisa Hewitt.

Shit. Now I wish I would have.

You are a gigantic delight to me.

The only way I could love you more is if you would ever find your damn Darth Vader helmet.

Lisa Hewitt December 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm

file:///C:/Users/lisa/Pictures/Darth-Vader-Playing-The-Bagpipes-While-Riding-A-Unicycle.jpg this is going to have to do until I find (and I better) mine

Lisa Hewitt December 10, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I’ll just do it on FB.

Val December 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Wow, did you see the size of that…hat? rofl

You two look great. What a great sport you’ve found there. I’ve been wanting to do some of the zombie things and this caps it. I just need to do it. Son said he’ll do it with me. Hopefully he understands that I found a makeup artist and he’s in for some sitting to look horrific :)
Val recently posted..Staying Down After SurgeryMy Profile

Carrie December 10, 2013 at 8:18 pm

DO IT. The more costumes and makeup and stuff the better…DO IT!!

A Morning Grouch December 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS LOOK AMAZING!!!!! Seriously, that is some legit shit right there. What a lovely competion – er – I mean marriage you’ve got going on!

Carrie December 10, 2013 at 8:19 pm

We had the BEST time!!

Best quote of the day: That is some legit shit right there.

YOU totally win. =)

Hollie December 10, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I love it!!! You guys look great!!! And whoa momma….and BIG…The hat… um yeah…. ;)

Carrie December 10, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I’m telling you…that hat was the bomb!! Be glad I can’t find one like it. Y’all would be sick of seeing it.

I loved it so much, I would swat at Keith’s hand if he tried to touch it.

Fashionista era December 11, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Hey sweetie! how are you! firstly i think you look so adorable in your outfit awww lovely hun, im on vacation and thanks so much for your kind words abt my family. you are so precious…!! big hugsss!! tks for ur visit and new post is up >D
Fashionista era recently posted..Gameplayers will self destructMy Profile

Carrie December 11, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Thank you!! So glad to hear you’re doing good…love, love, love!

Amber December 11, 2013 at 2:29 pm

This looks like so much fun! I love when men wear top hats.
Amber recently posted..Rolling in the SnowMy Profile

Carrie December 11, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I’m with you! I kept asking him if he’d consider wearing it during the week.

He’s a cop.

Needless to say, you know the answer to that.

(But just picture it!!!!)

Adelyn December 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I don’t know how I missed a post…stupid blogger feed.

asinine jackassery….is DEFINITELY my new favorite phrase.

So awesome when we meet our matches. Makes life perfect. Congrats.
Adelyn recently posted..Day 5My Profile

Carrie December 11, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Girl, I’m still learning this new blog feed stuff, too. As soon as I think I know what I’m doing…I’ll see 15 blogs I missed.

Yes. Asinine jackassery. Quite possibly my middle names.

katie metzroth December 13, 2013 at 10:11 am

Ya’ll look GREAT! what’s that I hear? a tradition coming on?
katie metzroth recently posted..It’s not because she’s dumb…My Profile

Carrie December 17, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Hellz to the yeah! We’re nerds and we’re proud!

Jennifer December 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Oh gosh. I want to hug you. This is so awesome. And yes. That’s a lot of… hat.
Jennifer recently posted..2013 Reader FavoritesMy Profile

Carrie December 17, 2013 at 2:45 pm

It was totally perfect. The hat I wish I could have kept.

I’d wear it to work.

Yes, I would.

Alison December 17, 2013 at 6:03 am

I want to hang out with the both of you!

(nice boobs)
Alison recently posted..Where I’m From (Again)My Profile

Carrie December 17, 2013 at 2:46 pm

HAHA!!! Girl, you can hang with us anytime!

Just don’t ever expect to know what’s up next. Cause half the time…WE don’t know!

Caroline L. December 17, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I’ve heard of this! But I’ve never had the chance to go… but it looks like so much fun, and that is one vow you guys should never, ever break :)
Caroline L. recently posted..Friends In Cool PlacesMy Profile

Carrie December 18, 2013 at 8:12 am

It was way more than fun…I had no idea it would be so just plain cool. People were so nice and friendly and just great!

I highly encourage you to do it!! =)