Mom, I might be sounding all thankful and crap but I still want your gumbo pot.

May 8, 2014 in Hit or Miss...kinda like my dating life.

Momma…I’m tired.

And I only have one.

One that “I” didn’t even birth.

One that I got when she was 14.  Now she’s a week from being 16, and I’m worn to the bone.

And I’m not juggling 3 kids, keeping food on the table, keeping a working husband happy.

All while I’m going back to school.

Full-time, no less.

Yeah.  School.  To be a teacher for 20 years and take on other people’s kids.

What.  Ever.

I’m not trying to keep one from going boy crazy and ending up pregnant before she’s out of school.

I’m not trying to get one into college and moved off hours away while wondering how we’re going to afford it.

I’m not trying to find time to pray because my new baby needs open heart surgery.

Nope.  I’m just putting clothes in the dryer at 2:30 in the morning.  Because that’s when I can get to it.

I am beginning to understand what, “You have to know heartache to feel happiness sometimes” means.  And now I’m also catching on to the meaning of the words, “You really think I’m stupid, don’t you?”

Mom Georgetown

I’m sorry I never told you how delicious dinner was after you were in the kitchen for what must’ve seemed like forever.  Nothing quite like sweating it out for hours, only to get, “It’s ok”, huh?

I wish I would have listened when you said to be choosy with girlfriends.

I’m glad you made me go to church.  But I hated when you pinched my ear across the pew because I was fidgeting and not listening.

I’ve heard myself mumble the words, “Is it ever good enough??”  And I’m fairly certain you did, too.  Especially when Santa brought me my very own TV for my room and my first comment was, “It’s ONLY black and white?”

I’ve looked at the clock at 12:17 a.m., then again at 2:32 a.m., then again at 3:27 a.m.  Then I kinda cried when I hit the alarm for the 2nd time at 4:30 a.m. and I wanted to call in sick so bad, but crawled my way to the bathroom to get dressed for work, because, well…her birthday is coming and money doesn’t grow on trees.

I’m pretty sure you probably did the same thing many times.

Which is why I do it.

As much as we fought and as much as we argued….and as much as you let me hate you because I seemed to think I knew what was better for me than you did but you made me do it your way anyway…thank you.

Your way was the right way.

Mom Flowers

I’ve never cried the words, “How did my mother do this for all those years?” so much in my life as I have in the last 2 years.

And you did it with manicured nails.  (Which I thought was dumb…because I knew more than you.)

And the perfect hairstyle.  (Which I thought was old-fashioned…because I knew more than you.)

And flawless make-up.  (Which I thought was way too much work…because I knew more than you.)

And stylish clothes.  (Which I thought was old-lady-looking…because I knew more than you.)

It has taken me 45 years to see what all you sacrificed and did without, while putting your best foot forward for so many years, so I could simply be unappreciative.

And such a know-it-all.

And such a bitch sometimes.  (OK…lots of the time.)

Thanks, Mom.

Thank you for every friggin’ thing you did way back then and every friggin’ thing you do now.

I never knew how much you loved me…until 2 years ago.

(Dad….I know you had a giant hand in everything Mom did for me.  I know you were the foundation of our family.  But it’s Mother’s Day, and well…you get it.)

Mom and Dad

{ 24 comments }

Barbara May 8, 2014 at 9:40 am

Aww! Happy Mother’s Day to both of you!

Carrie May 8, 2014 at 10:24 am

She did and does way more than I ever could and will do.

It’s all on her.

Peggy Scarborough May 8, 2014 at 10:49 am

Your ole Mom finally got to sleep late this morning, woke up with chicken hair, and now has mascara running down her eyes. Wish I would have kept track of the ‘stink eye’ I’ve had to give you over the years…all worth it! Never have I ever been more proud of you then the woman, wife, & bonus mom you’ve become today. I couldn’t have done it without your Dad & the Big Man Upstairs! Thank you! By the Way, I’m taking my gumbo pot with me when I head to the Pearly Gates. Someone has to cook gumbo up there and it might as well be me. Love you!

Carrie May 8, 2014 at 10:53 am

The stink-eye is carved in my memory. More like burned.

If the gumbo pot comes up missing…check with the neighbors. One of them probably stole it.

Just throwing that out there. =)

Peggy Scarborough May 8, 2014 at 10:58 am

You get the giant gumbo pot since your daddy won’t pay for the extra freight for it to the Pearly Gates; pass it down to sweet Hailey. I bet that gumbo pot is 75 years old.

Carrie May 8, 2014 at 11:46 am

Ol’Hailey is gonna have to wait her turn. Niece or not…she’s waiting!

Jennifer May 8, 2014 at 11:38 am

I know exactly what you mean. I never knew until they put Cady’s in my arms, and I’ve never been so thankful and humbled by someone in my entire life as that same moment.
Jennifer recently posted..You Do What You CanMy Profile

Carrie May 8, 2014 at 11:47 am

It’s a mystery I’ll never understand.

However, I can’t WAIT until Cayla has one of her own. Can. Not. Wait.

(Well, I actually can wait. You know, college and marriage and job, first.)

Amber May 8, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Aw, what a sweet post!
Amber recently posted..Things That Annoy Me Thursday: Not Getting Excited For BirthdaysMy Profile

Carrie May 8, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Thanks…=)

Lisa Guedry May 8, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Happy Happy Mothers Day Carrie and you too Peggy!!!!

Carrie May 8, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Back to you, sister!

jennifer niles May 8, 2014 at 5:52 pm

:) the circle of motherhood. exhausting, frustrating, lovely, crazy wonderful…. it will all come back around.
jennifer niles recently posted..Easing gas painsMy Profile

Carrie May 8, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Jennifer, you sure hit that one on the head! 100% right!

Lisa Hewitt May 8, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Awwww girl, this is just so special. You have gone and made me cry and miss my mom and everything (that is not a bad thing). Happy, Happy Mother’s Day to you both!
I fully intend to show my older sister this in the hopes she will make some gumbo. She’s the keeper of the pot.

Carrie May 8, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I’m the older sister and so see, that alone should make ME keeper of the pot.

I should just be given the pot now.

If your sister won’t make you gumbo, Mom will. Let us know…you’re always welcome! =)

Carol May 8, 2014 at 9:25 pm

A sob rose up from my heart about 1/2 way through this. My own mother died 8 years ago. I wish I would have had the opportunity to write such a blog post to her. I miss her everyday. Enjoy your Mother’s Day. Your mom looks amazing…as do you!

Carrie May 9, 2014 at 7:44 am

Oh, thank you! Carol, that is so kind of you to say.

I’m sorry your mom isn’t with you. I know that will be one of my biggest struggles in life when that day comes for me. It’s something I don’t let myself think about.

Memories are such a great thing. I have no doubt you live with many of those in your heart everyday.

That Nerdy Girl May 9, 2014 at 10:57 am

This. is. beautiful. My mom is long gone, and it’s a bittersweet thing to read how much love there is in this entry. You and your mother have a beautiful thing, and I love reading about it. I love seeing the exchange in the comments. And it makes me miss my own mom so much, even though I love remembering her. :)
That Nerdy Girl recently posted..Requiem for The AftermathMy Profile

Carrie May 9, 2014 at 1:59 pm

You are so sweet for those words…thank you so much.

I’m so sorry your mom isn’t with you. I love how you love the memories though…that’s priceless stuff.

Linda Roy May 10, 2014 at 8:17 am

Aw, sweet! Happy Mother’s Day!
Linda Roy recently posted..Song Parody: It’s Not Mother’s DayMy Profile

Val May 10, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Aw, so you are A Sassy Redhead the second I see :)

My daughter is 18 and thankfully stayed home to go to community college and save dough. Being around her takes me right back to me at that age. What a bitch I was, ooofta. Thankfully that was only a couple of years ago so I can remember it.

I’ve learned to shut my trap because she knows everything and sick the husband on her when she’s treating me bad. But mostly I’ve also learned that I need to tell my Mom thank you more for not wiping me off the face of the earth like she must have wanted to almost every day lol

Happy Mother’s Day!
Val recently posted..It’s May, How’d That Happen?My Profile

Adelyn May 11, 2014 at 8:27 pm

So wonderful. To finally “get it” is one thing…to say it is another…and then to say it publicly?!?…well that is just plain awesome.
Adelyn recently posted..NowMy Profile

katie metzroth May 13, 2014 at 4:53 pm

What the crap does, “I wish I would have listened when you said to be choosy with girlfriends.” mean?
You’re not choosy with your girlfriends?
I’m offended. :)

Your mother is a SAINT. God Bless Her !
and you’re just like her.
katie metzroth recently posted..Happy Owl Sweater FridayMy Profile