The other night we walked for two years. And I have yet to break a sweat.

June 19, 2014 in The Very Few Times I'll Admit to Having a Soul

Just as I’m closing up the laptop the other night and clicking off the bedside lamp, this came forth into the universe.

Me:  Don’t forget we have a date next Saturday night, June 28th, for the two-year anniversary of our first date.

Keith:  Ok.  It’s a date for the two-year anniversary of our first date?

Me:  Yes.

Keith:  So, we’re having a date to celebrate a date?

Me:  **crickets**

Keith:  That’s fine and all…but our first date was not on June 28th.

Me:  I know.  It was June 30th, but that’s a Monday and June 28th is a Saturday.

Keith:  Was not.  It was June 23rd.

Me:  No.  I remember our first date.  It was June 30th.

Keith:  I hate to ask this, but I’m gonna dive right off into it…why then aren’t we celebrating the two-year anniversary of our first date on the date of the actual first date?

Me:  **I stared at him in the dark.  He could feel it.**

Keith:  Good Lord, I’m starting to sound like you now.

Me:  Because that’s a week night and I’m not drinking wine on a week night then going to work the next day.  Plus, who goes out on a Monday night?  That’s dumb.

Keith:  We’re going out on June 28 to celebrate the two-year anniversary of our first date that you think was on June 30th but it was actually on June 23rd?  Do I have it right?

Me:  No.  Our first date was on June 30th.

Keith:  Wanna bet?

Me:  Baby, it pains me to see you lose.  Let’s not go there.

It was then he whipped out his phone, blinded me with the bright light of it, and started scrolling back through his text messages.

For about 20 minutes he scrolled.

Clicked “Load Earlier Messages” and scrolled some more.

Determined to show me he was right and I was wrong.  Determined to win this little game.  Determined to keep me up past 10:00 pm.

Of course, I had to prop up next to him so I could be face to face when I pointed out the date was indeed, June 30th.

He scrolled.  Annnnnnd scrolled.

Then we started scanning the early text messages between us.

We started giggling.

Me:  Stop!  Stop!  Oh, my God…that was when I first came to this house and first met Cayla!

Keith:  Yeah, look.  She says you’re a keeper.

Me:  We had those chicken roll-up things and I was so nervous.  Look…there’s where you said you’d meet me out front so I wouldn’t have to come to the door!  You were always so nice and considerate.  Still are.

More scrolling.

Keith:  Wow…this must be when I picked you up for lunch.  Yes, yes!  Remember?  I met you at your office and we went to that Mexican restaurant and you had a hard time getting up in the truck and I had to help you.  I liked helping you get in the truck.

Me:  Stop it.  =)

More scrolling.  And more giggling.  And more reminiscing.  And more giggling.

Me:  Whoa.  Oh, Lord.  There’s our second date.  I’m thanking you for the flowers you had at the table when we arrived at the restaurant.  See…right there?  I say, “Thank you for being so good to me and thank you for one of the most perfect evenings of my life.”  And there’s your reply, “You looked beautiful and I really enjoy being with you.  You bring out a side of me I haven’t seen in a long time.”

Me again:  AWWWWWWW!!!

Keith:  You still do.  =)

More scrolling.  And there it is.

Keith:  AH HA!!!  I told you!  June 23rd!  It was June 23rd and you are WRONG!

Me:  Who cares.  Look.  That’s when I was just pulling up to the valet and so nervous I wanted to puke.  I hadn’t met you yet and we’d only corresponded through text and email.  I wanted to die.  I was trying to get out of the car without tripping and the valet dude was trying to help me and I was so damn nervous I wanted to choke myself and just die on the spot.  Then you texted.  There.  Right there, you say, “I’m here.  Please ask the ladies at the hostess stand to show you to our table where your nervous date anxiously awaits.”

Keith:  I did, didn’t I?  I was so nervous.  48 years old and felt like I was on my very first date ever.  I had enjoyed our texting and emails so much and I was scared you wouldn’t be what I had you in my mind to be.

Me:  I remember when the girl showed me to our table and you turned and stood up.  I thought you were hot.  I was like, “Holy cow, this dude is IT!”

Keith:  Well, THAT’S romantic.

Me:  Just keeping in real.  You were hot.  Still are.

Keith:  Best night of our lives.  Right there on my phone.  It’s like we’re reading our last two years.  Kinda like a book.

Me:  OR A BLOG!

Keith:  Of course it is.

We discovered that neither of us had really changed much.

In several texts, I thanked him for being so good to me.

I still tell him that every night before we go to sleep.

(I also thank him for not putting the dishes in the dishwasher and instead leaving them in the sink that is right next to the dishwasher, I also thank him for his atrocious gas that sometimes wakes me up from a deep sleep, and I also thank him for leaving the countertops sticky with the watermelon juice he dripped all over it and attempted to clean with a dry towel.)

(Ehem.  Yeah.)

In several texts, he told me I was beautiful.

He still tells me that no less than twice a day.

(He also tells me that I need to get a grip and not freak out because there are dishes in the sink instead of the dishwasher, he also tells me he can’t help his gas especially at night when he’s sleeping and knows nothing about it, and he also tells me sticky watermelon juice countertops aren’t near as bad as sticky watermelon juice floors.)

(Ehem.  Again.)

We laughed and giggled and re-lived our last two years until I couldn’t hold my eyes open any longer.

Our two-year walk down memory lane exhausted me.

He put his phone back on the charger then kissed me on the cheek.

He held my hand as he dozed off.

And then he had gas.

And I decided I’d get up a little early to put the dishes in the dishwasher before leaving for work.

And I’d also wipe off the sticky watermelon juice countertops when I did the dishes.  And make sure the kitchen floors weren’t sticky.

Then he had more gas.

And then I fell asleep.

Kinda sappy and teary-eyed over how much my life has changed since that first meeting on the night of June 23, 2012.  And how since that very night, it’s stayed the same in so many ways.

And how if I had to do it all over again, I would do it without hesitation.

And the only thing I’d change is that it would have been 25 years ago instead of just two.

SONY DSC

Regina June 19, 2014 at 9:05 am

That is beautiful. My hubby agree we would not have been ‘ready’ to settle down with each other until we met (we were 30 when we met). We would not have liked the earlier versions of ourselves. We were different and needed to grow up a bit.

Your story is perfect.

Carrie June 19, 2014 at 9:12 am

We say the same thing, honestly. We both had to be those two earlier people to end up being the two people we are now.

We’re past trying to “keep up with the neighbors” and “climbing the ladder” and all that stuff. Life is just good. It’s easy and it’s full.

Just like it should be. I’m blessed and not a day goes by I don’t tell him.

Joy Christi June 19, 2014 at 9:07 am

OMG you guys are adorable!! Congratulations on 2 years, here’s to many more! We can’t remember the exact date of our first date either AND there was a program with the date on it somewhere! :)

Carrie June 19, 2014 at 9:42 am

HAHA!! I’m telling you, I went to the line on the date. Just KNEW I was right.

Never let’em see you sweat.

Until you gotta. =)

Hanna Elizabeth June 19, 2014 at 9:07 am

Are you sure the tears weren’t from the gas? Been there, living through that. Add a Boxer (known for their wicked farts) and things can get pretty dicey up in here.

Congrats on your two years. I love walks down memory lane, they’re always tinged with gold.

Carrie June 19, 2014 at 9:35 am

Tinged with gold, is right!

And you know, you could very well be correct on the tears thing. God love him…100% a man. I think he secretly enjoys it. Probably smiles in his sleep when it happens.

Lisa Hewitt June 19, 2014 at 11:10 am

Smooooth. I see what you did there. I am just going to have to say your hubs is smoother. That’s right. He has two years worth of text on you. Think about that for a second. Uh-huh. Clearly the man worships the ground you walk on and clearly you feel the same way that is all that really matters, except, damn I would love to see all those texts! (Future post?) His own blog???? Reality TV???? Lord have mercy!

Carrie June 19, 2014 at 11:12 am

HAHA!! Oh, yes. That is just what the world needs. A camera crew in my living room.

He’s much better than me. Or either much less hip. I don’t have them on my phone that far back because my phone is newer.

He’s good though. I didn’t think he remembered much…but he was reminding me more than I was reminding him.

Dude is good. But much less hip.

yeah. =)

Hanz Fashionista Era June 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm

You are the sweetest thing ever. Look att his post awwww makes me laugh and get emotional at the same time. Its an art your stle of writing hun. Write a comedy book Im serious!! Youa re so funny and in a good way. I wanna see Best seller CARRIE out there!! Wow….!!! Id be the first one to buy it.
Hanz Fashionista Era recently posted..Vlogging Inspiration : ZoellaMy Profile

Carrie June 19, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Aww, Hanz…YOU are the sweetest thing ever! That is such a nice thing to say!

I love you for that!! =)

Thank you, sweet girl! You just made my day…

connie June 20, 2014 at 7:40 am

How sweet!!

I love guys named Keith. Happy Anniversary. Celebrating the first date is very important. It is a milestone.
connie recently posted..How to Celebrate the Last Day of SchoolMy Profile

Carrie June 20, 2014 at 8:02 am

You ain’t kidding. Fastest two years of my life.

And yeah…Keith dudes are the best. =)

Temetriamcvea June 20, 2014 at 9:06 am

I’m soooooo happy for you. I got a little misty.

Carrie June 20, 2014 at 10:01 am

Aww…a little misty is ok.

Thank you, my sweet friend.

Carrie July 2, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Thank you, thank you! You’re such a doll!!

Amber June 20, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Sweet post. Happy Anniversary!
Amber recently posted..Why I Don’t Do YogaMy Profile

Carrie June 20, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Adelyn June 21, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Your last line is it. I feel that way too. There is a quote i tell my husband…”I wish I had met you sooner so I could have loved you longer”. Or something like that.

Congrats!

Carrie June 25, 2014 at 8:34 am

I get that.

Totally get that.

A Morning Grouch June 21, 2014 at 1:34 pm

OMG STOP IT. This is way too cute! ! I can’t believe all the texts are still there, what an awesome way to celebrate an anniversary. AND way to totally downplay the fact that you had the date wrong lol. Love this post.

Carrie June 25, 2014 at 8:35 am

I was wondering who would catch my downplay on my wrongness.

Thanks, girl…it was really fun and silly and just great.

katie metzroth June 23, 2014 at 1:16 pm

well….but if you’d been together all that time, you wouldn’t be exactly who you are today. and you’re pretty stinkin’ awesome….so 2 suits me just fine (and it’s all about me). :)
happy anniversary, you cute kids! :)
katie metzroth recently posted..How to tell a M1L from a M1R whilst reading charts.My Profile

Carrie June 25, 2014 at 8:37 am

Yeah. We discussed that.

If I met him BEFORE my first husband, Lord knows I wouldn’t appreciate the fabulous man I have now. Not comparing, but yeah kinda…comparing.

He agreed.

I always say, we have to know bad to know good. And I definitely know and have good now. =)