A bald head and really bad bangs still just go together. Even if they’re miles apart.

August 8, 2014 in The Very Few Times I'll Admit to Having a Soul

We met in the second grade in Miss Johnson’s class.

We had to sit by each other in those double desks that grade schools had back then.  We immediately hit it off.

We gave each other full permission to dig in each other’s cigar boxes.

(That was what we had back then…not the fancy stuff kids have now.)

We traded crayons.  We traded markers.  We traded secrets.

We did lunch together in the school cafeteria.

I’d give her my roll then I’d scrape her macaroni and cheese onto my tray.

That was…

(Hang on, I suck at math so let me get my calculator…)

…approximately 37 years ago.

I spent many weekends at her family’s cabin on the lake.  She spent many weekends at my family’s cabin at the beach.

Her mother threw the bible at us and made us read some scripture stuff in it because she heard us use the term, “Well, hells bells” when we thought she wasn’t around.

We were about 10.

My mother barked and yelled and threatened us within an inch of our life because she smelled Bartles and Jaymes Strawberry Daquiri on our breath.

We were about 14.

We snuck Oreos onto the field at our high school graduation and passed them back and forth.  We sat two seats a part that night.

We were about 18.

We caused lots and lots and lots of trouble all through those years.  Pretty much side-by-side.

This morning, she is sitting in the waiting room at MD Anderson Hospital in Houston.

Bald.

This morning, I’m sitting at my desk at the office in Austin.

With really bad bangs.

We’re 45.

Sometimes life seems miserably wrong and unfair.

But her biggest question this morning?

“Now that I’m bald, do I use soap or shampoo?”

(I suggested a shammy thing or one of those cloth things you use to make your car shiny.)

(And wigs.  Here’s her chance to be a redhead!  Curly one day, short one day, long one day…live it up!)

My biggest question this morning?

“Now that I’m seeing gray, do I color it or not?”

Her faith is strong enough to support an entire small country.

Her faith is right now supporting my faith.

And she’s the one bald.

So, yeah…sometimes life seems miserably wrong and unfair.

But most of the time, life is immeasurably beautiful.

And that’s worth every day we can get with a shiny bald head and really bad bangs.

Deborah

Regina August 8, 2014 at 9:06 am

Sounds like a great friend and prayers to her on her recovery.

Carrie August 8, 2014 at 9:10 am

Thank you, Regina. It’s tough to see…but she’s yet to show anything but a confident faith.

Which keeps the rest of us going strong. =)

Barbara August 8, 2014 at 9:10 am

Saying a prayer for her recovery!

Carrie August 8, 2014 at 9:14 am

Thank you…she’ll be just fine. I know it. =)

Melinda Stanton August 8, 2014 at 9:20 am

Oh my goodness, Carrie. You talk so tough but you’re a marshmallow down under. One that can make me cry. Saying prayers for your bad-banged self (they’re not really bad) and your sweet friend.

Carrie August 8, 2014 at 10:36 am

Thank you, Melinda.

(I’m pretty much all bark and ZERO bite.)

I told her this morning that THIS was my therapy. I could shed a few tears (and have), but that doesn’t do her or me any good.

So, the only thing I feel I can do is spread a little love for her and hope maybe a prayer or two is tossed up to heaven just in case she needs’em.

Peggy Scarborough August 8, 2014 at 9:26 am

Love my other daughter by another mother ….

Carrie August 8, 2014 at 10:34 am

Me, too.

Lisa Hewitt August 8, 2014 at 11:20 am

Consider the love spread and the prayers sent.

Carrie August 8, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Thank you, my sweet friend.

DOD August 8, 2014 at 10:13 pm

… I remember when she messed with a dead jellyfish on the beach and paid a price for it … meat tenderizer and water …

Carrie August 8, 2014 at 10:48 pm

HAHAHA!! Yes! I remember that!! That is too funny…❤️

Adelyn August 9, 2014 at 5:36 am

I am always laughing one minute and crying another when I read your blog. I love that about you. What an amazing friendship and tribute to a friend. I will definitely be praying for you both.

And then…isn’t that the perspective…bad bangs vs. no hair. Not enough money vs. no money. Too much housecleaning vs. homeless shelter. All battles are important to teach us lessons and God uses them all to His good. We are just to stay full of faith. I love reading how you are doing that.

Carrie August 11, 2014 at 9:41 am

You’re so kind, Adelyn. Thank you.

You’re 100% right on the perspectives. I have a sign on my cube wall that reads, “There are a lot of people who would trade their best day for my worst day.”

And that goes vice-versa, too. I’d trade my best for others who would consider that day their worst.

We are blessed in different ways and are never on our walk alone. =)

kk August 9, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Prayers for you and your sista girlfriend. May God wrap His loving arms around both of you and give you strength.

Carrie August 11, 2014 at 9:42 am

Thank you, kk….I know she appreciates your kindness as much as I do.

Joy Christi August 11, 2014 at 9:17 am

Oh you made me cry and I can’t even be mad about it. This is such a beautiful post about lifelong friendship. Those are so priceless! I’m sending messages to a couple of mine RIGHT NOW. You just never know where life is going to take us.
I hope her path is light, and you are back to causing trouble again really soon, wigs, costumes, whatever makes you smile. And that you write about it so we can share the stories!
Joy Christi recently posted..Update on “A Tale of Two Prostitutes”My Profile

Carrie August 11, 2014 at 9:43 am

She is a tough ol’bird…handling it with grace and confidence.

But you know, until we’re in certain shoes, we really don’t know how we’d respond. I’d like to think I’d be just as tough.

Thank you for such sweet words. =)

katie metzroth August 13, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I’d like to feel sorry for you that you’re going gray, but I started going gray three years ago and I’m like 40 years younger than you. But seriously, I’m glad for both of you that you have friends like each other and I’m gonna pray for your girl.
katie metzroth recently posted..Ireland – Episode TwoMy Profile

Amber August 14, 2014 at 3:22 pm

What a nice post. I hope everything will be okay with her!
Amber recently posted..Things That Annoy Me Thursday: SnoringMy Profile